Skeet..........

Stuart Ablett

I got a request from a good buddy to turn some wooden Skeet targets, clay pigeons.

clay1.jpg clay2.jpg clay3.jpg
Here are the pics he sent me.

I found that these are usually 110mm in diameter.

What he wants is a wooden replica that can be mounted on a board, and then they will laser engrave a name etc on it for a going away present for a member of their gun club on base, or for a prize for a shooting competition.

He wants six, and says they will pay for them, what kind of price do you think would be reasonable?

I'm thinking to make them out of Maple, as it is easy to turn, will look nice with a coat of simple finish on it, and it will show a good contrast with the laser engraving. I don't know if they want me to make the backer board or not, I'm thinking that if they do what a backer board, maybe a nice Walnut board would throw a good contrast :dunno:

I'm also thinking that a solid back would be best, no need for a hollowed out version, as it would be mounted to a backer board. Simple easy to do, just make a recess to put the chuck into and then turn the top part.

I guess the knurled or toothed part would be hard to do, I could do it by hand maybe :dunno:

Thoughts? :wave:

Have you considered making them in two pieces? The larger lower disk, with the "stacked" layers turned as a separate single piece. That would give you direct access to the knurled edge (the bottom of the stack). You could then use a small round file to get a similar "toothed" look.

Also, I'd suggest checking with the laser guy to see if he wants finished or unfinished wood. Maybe Lee or Nancy can chime in on that.

Have you considered making them in two pieces? The larger lower disk, with the "stacked" layers turned as a separate single piece. That would give you direct access to the knurled edge (the bottom of the stack). You could then use a small round file to get a similar "toothed" look.

Also, I'd suggest checking with the laser guy to see if he wants finished or unfinished wood. Maybe Lee or Nancy can chime in on that.

Good idea Vaughn, I'll look at that, and I had already thought about the laser thing, with the finish, I'll have to double check.

Cheers!

How about building something like an old fashioned pie crimper with one of those spare gears you have laying around? Hold it against the slowly spinning portion you want knurled and see if you can make it work....worth a try.

Took me about an hour, that included figuring out the sizes from the pictures.

wooden_clay.jpg

It is basswood, nice and easy to turn, a bit dusty, and I carved the edge by hand with a small carving tool.

I hope he likes it.

They are offering to pay me, I figure my material cost at about $6, and my time around an hour, so add in wear and tear on stuff and I'm thinking $30.....?

Too much, too little?

Thanks for all the help and suggstions

Cheers!

Last edited: