Thread: Pound - A - Peg

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Pound - A - Peg

It seems these original Pound A Peg toys aren't too plentiful anymore. So, as you wood workers know that often prompts the idea of making things ourselves and that's what I set out to do.

According to the research I have done, the patent for these was applied for in 1929 and granted in 1932. The only parts I had to "wing" it on for size was the mallet and pegs since the dimensions of the bench was available.

And you know, Granddad had to play with it just a bit to make sure everything was up to snuff.

Bob, that is excellent!!! My grandson is needing something like that. That might be the first thing off of the lathe when it hopefully gets moved into the shop next week!!! Thanks for posting this and reminding me of my grandfatherly duties!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Cute.
    Yep, I remember those. Don't recall if I had one.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Bob, that is excellent!!! My grandson is needing something like that.
    Why is it always the grandparents that buy (or this case build) the noisy toys...revenge???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Why is it always the grandparents that buy (or this case build) the noisy toys...revenge???
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My gosh Bill did you ever hit the nail on the head!!!!!!

Pay backs are tough!
    Ken
    ------

I remember my grandpa making noise makers and my parents have done the same for my daughter...I think it's their right to do so.

Bob great project! I think you gave me an idea for a bottle stopper display too.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Yeah, our family has a "nothing with batteries" standing order...

but then when my oldest was one I went and did it myself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mower1-sm.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	37356

And it wasn't even that bad on carpet... but on hardwood!

Oh, great looking toy, by the way. How tight are the dowels?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Bob, that's great! I remember playing with one of these when I was little. I have a 1.5 year old nephew who would love one of these. If you don't mind me asking, are the pegs a friction fit? I was looking at them on Google and it looked like some had an O ring in the hole to hold the peg.

After looking at your picture more it looks like the pegs have a kerf cut into them.
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 09-30-2009 at 09:51 PM.

I don't mind questions at all and hope it saves someone the time I spent with the trial and error method.

Yes, there is a kerf cut from each end 90 apart. Of course, if they weren't 90 we would have 2 halves. That's probably the only mistake I didn't make.
    The pegs are 2-1/4" long and the kerfs are 1-1/4" long.

For friction I found that around 0.005"-0.010" greater than bore size will work. That measurement is at right angle to the kerf. The diameter parallel to the kerfs and in the mid section had to be nearer to bore size but maybe a couple of thousandts over. Your mileage will probably vary as with any wood project.

I made these 5/8" dowels from 3/4" dowell stock without a lathe so for anyone with one it should be a snap.

good luck