Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you sale at craft fairs?

What do you sale at craft fairs?

My wife's aunt is a big craft show junkie and she's been on me for a couple of years to set up at one. Well, I'm thinking about setting up at a local annual craft/fall festival toward the end of October. I have several cutting boards and mini-birdhouses already made. I was wondering what those of you who do the craft show circuit sale. I know Vaughn does a few, but I couldn't get what he asks at this show. Besides that I couldn't make stuff that looks as good as his bowls etc. anyway. I'm looking at stuff in the 50 dollar or less range.

Thanks in advance

John, there are a lot of items under $50 you could make. Pens, bottle stoppers, small vases and weed pots, paper clip bowls with a magnetic ring, desk calculators, etc.

Craft Supplies has a wide range of project parts here:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects?Args=

As far as what sells best, that's the $64,000 question. It'll all depend on the show, the people who attend it, and the items the other vendors are selling.

For me, the shows have only been mildly profitable, but LOML and I have a good time doing them. I like talking to folks about my work, and she likes Kettle Corn.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Here's an idea. It came to me this morning when I was shaving. How about a shaving soap bowl and cover.
    I have had one I've used daily for 15 years and it's finally rotting out. You know the kind of soap that you use a shaving brush on. Best shave you will ever get
    You could sell it along with a cake of soap for under $20.00 probably.
    Heck, I'll buy one right now.
    I'm not into the spinny stuff yet or I'd try one on my own
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Aww come on in Bob, the waters fine..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Bob, that soap bowl isn't rotten, it is "SPALTED"!!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Here's an idea. It came to me this morning when I was shaving. How about a shaving soap bowl and cover.
    I have had one I've used daily for 15 years and it's finally rotting out. You know the kind of soap that you use a shaving brush on. Best shave you will ever get
    You could sell it along with a cake of soap for under $20.00 probably.
    Kits are sold for the shaving brushes also.
    However, you may be the last man on earth to use a wet soap and brush for shaving. Wouldn't be much of a market left out there.

Edit: And, as Larry reads this he says: "Shave? Wats that?"
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Ive never done a craft show, nor do I think Id be inclined to start, but I know one item I make for gifts, no matter how many I make, and how simple it is, they dissappear and call for more.
    Its mostly scraps, and you can probably make 10 of them an hour with cutting and staining, Im sure they could go for anywhere between 5-25 bucks

the one on the right with 9 tealights is the most liked, its 6/4 oak, 7 or 8 inch square, so its around 2-2.50 in wood. Tealights run a nickel each at the most.
    My cousin wants me to make them for her for an art show shes doing after the winter, she couldnt do this years show in sept, and I didnt want to be bothered. She says she can get 25 dollars for it, Id say 15-20 and it goes faster.
    The 3 and 4 candle holders I consider almost cost free since the wood is scrap bin stuff usually, too short for anything, and 3 tealight holder can fetch 5 bucks. I use whatever old stain I have laying around.(but use good polyurethane so it shines nicely)(I posted all this somewhere, but I think it would make a good craft item this time of year, buy some colored tealights, red, green, I believe it will sell)You asked, so Im offering only my idea. I do not know the markets in Tenn.
    I see what sells up here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiki 221 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 10-01-2009 at 12:53 PM.

My M-I-L is into Flea Markets, she sets up each week in season. Season is over so she is headed for a Crafts show (Renfro Valley, KY) to display her wares, Chrochet items and some Afghans, So my wife says "make her some things to help make her display" I just finished 3 unique quilt holders and 2 Afghan holders, we'll see how well they do. Also while cleaning out my aunt's estate we found a couple of "like new" Afghans and 3 new handmade quilts so they are off to the show, Also an antique Chrochet Bed Spread that she did as a teenager (she is 94) and loads of doileys....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Kits are sold for the shaving brushes also.
    However, you may be the last man on earth to use a wet soap and brush for shaving. Wouldn't be much of a market left out there.

Edit: And, as Larry reads this he says: "Shave? Wats that?"
    I shaved for many years with brush and straight razor, It was some sort of ritual to me, it relaxed me and help me to concentrate OMMMMMM....

I had to change to Gillete, when I started to have less time to devote to it.

I still have the brush, a couple of razors and the strop, although I never made the froth or foam in a bowl, but directly on my face.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

this is a sample of what i'll be setting out at a local craft fair. the wine has eye catching labels, the one on the right is old fart, the one on the left is old fart's wife...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails craft show items.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking