Thread: Hollow Form Color Experiment

Hollow Form Color Experiment

Everyone knows that you have to step out of your comfort zone every once in a while and try new things in order to grow. I like what I am doing as far as forms but really want to play around with colored dyes and see if they work for me or are just a passing gimmick. I have seen a few folks out there that have done amazing things with dyes and thought I would give it a try. Please forgive the snapshots…

Started off with a really nice curly maple HF - that would have been just fine if left alone - but it had fairly bland color to it and was a great candidate for using dyes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Experiment v1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	37426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Experiment v2.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	37427

Using Black RIT powdered clothing dye, I combined approximately 1 teaspoon with about ¼ cup of denatured alcohol (DNA) in one of those plastic margarine containers and mixed it up using a 1” foam brush. Applied the dye to the form – inside and out – until it was saturated. Using an old towel, I wiped all the excess off and set it out in the garage to dry for a few hours.

Name:	Experiment v3.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	37428

Once the form was dry, using 220 grit sandpaper - sanded everything down. Didn’t try to remove all the dye – just even things out and prep the wood for the next dye.

Using Teal RIT powdered clothing dye, I again combined approximately 1 teaspoon with about ¼ cup of denatured alcohol (DNA) and mixed it up using a new 1” foam brush. Applied the dye to the form – just on the outside – until it was saturated. Using an old towel, I wiped all the excess off and took it back out to the garage to dry for a few hours.

Name:	Experiment v4.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	37429

Once the form was dry (about 3 hours later) - used 280 grit sandpaper and sanded everything down. Once again, not trying to remove all the dye – just even things out and prep the wood for the next dye.

Using Yellow RIT powdered clothing dye, I followed the same application process and stuck the form back out in the garage to dry overnight.

Name:	Experiment v5.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	37430

Tomorrow I will sand the form down with 320 grit and then start applying Wipe-On Gloss Poly. This will deepen the colors and should really make the curl stand out.

As stated – this is an experiment and it either works or it doesn’t. I have my fingers crossed that it will.

Will post photos – instead of snapshots – once the piece is finished.

As always – your opinions, critiques and comments are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

Im postive it will turn out a wonderful color......looking forward to the final photos of it.
    I like the natural color of wood when i turn the most but, i turn a decent pc sometimes and it just comes out bland and seems boring to me. So that becomes a candidate for using my dyes. I have sold them all (I dont ask much for "most" of my stuff though) there are people that love the coloring of the dyes. If you (and i have) do not like the color when your done you can simply sand it down and start over. The nice thing about alcohol is that it drys very fast. You can after applying it use a lighter and light it - the alcohol will burn of quickly drying time is faster.
    One thing i learned the hard way is that i keep notes now on what colors im using and the sequence i use them in. I made the mistake when i first started using dyes that i didnt keep track and i had someone want to buy one the same color.......ooooops guess who forgot by then what colors i used. I was able to get back close to it but still taught me to keep track.
    I sand to 220 and then apply my first color of dye - let sit for a sec and take it back off with a alcohol wet rag - let sit and dry and sand again with 220 and so on.....in the final colors that i dont want to cut back as much i switch to 320 thru completion. Im sure it would not make any difference if all you used was 220 because your putting a film finish on it anyway.
    Let me know if you get into using the dyes as i have kept my notes on my computer somewhere and i can send you the combo's ive used.
    The colors used always are dependent on the wood, how you mixed the dye etc - alot of factors but it is fun
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 10-02-2009 at 02:30 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Steve I am waiting to see what it will look like with the poly.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.