Need plans/ideas for an outdoor storage bin.

Erin Reichelt

Hello everyone :)

So, I'm back and of course I need some help planning out a project. I feed cubes to my horse. There compressed alfalfa cubes that I store in a rubbermade type outdoor storage bin.

Well, I got another horse and I need more storage. I always wanted to build my own bins and now it's time to figure out the best design that will fit my needs. Currently the bin I have only holds 2 1/2 weeks of feed so I have to go twice a month to the cuber.

As winter comes prices go up so I'm hoping to build these storage bins and buy more while the prices are good. If I have good luck with the first one I build then I'm planing to build more and stock up for winter if possible.

Here's the bin I am currently using. Notice the red straps holding the front doors closed. It can hold 700lbs of cubes but those straps are the only thing keeping all the sides together and the front doors closed.

TackRoom055.jpg

I want to build two "bins" out of wood that are about the same size or a little bigger. The bigger the better as far as storing more cubes but I have to make sure it can handle the stress of so much weight packed inside.

Can you help me with a design I can build? I would need it built on skids so it's off the ground just in case it rains hard and so I can drag it with the quad if I want to move it latter. The cubes can't get wet or they will start to mold so rain proofing is a big priority. I like the hinged lid top and I wouldn't need the doors on the front, I don't use them. I would build the lid more slopped so the rain runs off better, the current bin lid has a "dent" that gathers rain because it's barely slopped and I'm sure someone sat on it at some point.

I would need them no taller then an average sized tail gate when put down. I usually go get a load of cubes in the back of my truck, back it up to the bin and shovel/push them out into the bin below.

I will get measurements on my current bin today, the poor thing is about to explode its so full of cubes and during the summer it got so hot it started distorting the plastic under all that stress. lol

Please let me know any ideas you might have or any help you can give me. I don't know where to start on this so if you know of some free plans for something like this please let me know. I kinda need a plan to go from and a parts list of what kind of meterial/wood to buy.

I'm just affraid I would build it and forget to reenforce something or use the wrong wood and it collapses or the sides pop off. lol

I have a hand drill and my neighbor has a circular saw he lets me borrow. He also has a portable table saw. So, I think that's all I will need, it's all straight cuts right?

I'm thinking I will need to put X's with 2x4 in the frame to reinforce it along the walls? I have built a wooden gate before that I had to put a cross board to help stabilize the box frame. So, I'm thinking I will have to do something like that so the sides don't bow out.

I just don't know the best way to frame the sides so there strong and won't give out on me. I also have no idea how to attach the side together, what kind of joint to use or if I should buy one of those metal corner cover/braces you can screw on that holds the corner together.

I was thinking about using a plywood on the inside and put two framed boxes with x's in the middle on the outside. So the framing would be on the outside of the box and kind of decorative, I could paint it red with white trim like a barn.

I have a hand drill and my neighbor has a circular saw he lets me borrow. He also has a portable table saw. So, I think that's all I will need, it's all straight cuts right?...

[size=+1]Yeah, all straight, unless you wanna get fancy with a domed lid or something - which I wouldn't recommend, btw.[/size]

I was thinking about using a plywood on the inside and put two framed boxes with x's in the middle on the outside. So the framing would be on the outside of the box and kind of decorative, I could paint it red with white trim like a barn.

[size=+1]Your thinking is pretty sound. You could probably get away with using 1 X 4 for the "X's" but 2 X 4 would be even more substantial, considering you'll be putting nearly half a ton of feed in each of them.

Basically, all you'll be doing is building a big reinforced box. You might want to think about sloping the lid a bit, toward the back of the box, so that the rain (what little you get in Bakersfield) will run off, and away from the front, where it'd make a muddy mess. A 5° or so pitch would be enough.

Put the box together using deck screws instead of nails. They'll hold better. Use exterior ¾" plywood for the box, but since horses are so sensitive to food contamination, DO NOT use pressure treated wood that'll come in contact with the food.[/size]

What Jim said, and make the top a couple of inches bigger then the box all around. Maybe put some weather stripping on the top lip.
My tail gate when dropped is about 28 inches high so you could do it with 3 sheets of plywood. 2 4x4's for the base and 5 or six 2x4's. Don't forget we like pictures of you finished project.
I'm thinking maybe a box 24 Inches high by 8 feet long and 4 feet deep. That would hold a lot of feed. Maybe not quite so deep.

Last edited:
A long time ago I found a site that had free plans for a garbage storage bin. It was the kind you put out in front or back of your house and it holds two trash cans. It was similar to the bin I have now, doors on the front so the trash guy could get the cans out and a hinged lid on top that slopped. The plans had all the step by step details on how to build it.

I tried to find the plans again but I didn't save the site and all that came up were little decorative ones for your kitchen.

But, that's the idea I'm going for but it doesn't have to have the doors on the front and needs to be reinforced some how to hold the weight.

Do you think if I put box framing on the outside with an x or a / in the middle that would be fine or should I also put some kind of framing on the inside too?

Also, what kind of plywood do I use or thickness. I know I will need to paint it or it will just rot.

For the skids I was thinking 4x4 treated posts to give it some lift off the ground.

I forgot they have thick plywood, I've never built with plywood so I've just seen the thinner cheap stuff used for home built shelters and things. I think that thick plywood would work with some framing?

I had it in my head that plywood is really weak and flexible and couldn't hold the weight with out major framing but if I got some of the thicker stuff I wouldn't need so much extra framing and it could be more decorative then necessary.

Sorry, I think out loud and type at the same time....

Erin, "what's this talk of pulling with the "QUAD"?" Don't I remember a harness in your shed last time??? :eek:

Well, might be more than you wanted, but I am by nature lazy. So, why not a box that fits inbetween the wheel wells in your pickup or in your horse trailer. Then it gets filled at the cubing place (I use old fashioned hay!:D) and back at home back up to a frame and slide or with wheels, push this loaded box onto its platform. Then, no shoveling!! :thumb::thumb::thumb: Don't have clear figures or sizes, but this is my first idea off the top of my head.

Ohh, Wow, thanks for all the information. I didn't see your post. You already answered my questions :) You guys are quick!

Thanks so much. I will measure out my current box and add a little depth to it. I like the hight and length, it match the size of my tail gate but I could get away with making it a bit deeper to hold more cubes.

I also like your idea of slopping it to the back. I would have done the exact opposite not thinking that I would end up standing in a big mud puddle with scooping cubes. Thanks for that tip!

Johnathan,

I think that's a little over my head :dunno:. I'm home alone alot so I don't know if I could push that kind of weight out of a trailer and my trailer is a step up so I would need a ramp or something. lol

I don't have a problem shoveling the cubes, it's a good work out that's for sure but I can do it by myself so I don't have to worry about needing help. That's why I like cubes because there a size I can handle. I can't lift a bale on my own. Around here there 100+ pounds each, I can roll it end over end to get it where I need it but stacking them is hard work.

So, I like the cubes because I don't need any help and I don't pull my back out trying to unload them. lol Plus, there compact so the amount of space they take up pound for pound vs bales is much less. Not to mention the Hubby is happy I no long have "his" garage stacked with hay :thumb: lol

Jim,

Yeah, these boxes I'm hoping will hold closer to 1,000lbs each if I make them deeper from front to back then my current bin or even a little wider too.

I fill the back of the truck (short bed) almost half way and it's around 700lbs of cubes so I'm thinking fully loaded would be close to a ton of cubes. The cuber isn't far from my home so if I built the first box and it worked out well. I could build 3 more, have 4 boxes and put two up against the garage and two up against the tack room. That would give me close to 3 months of feed. I could fill up the first two boxes when they get empty while the prices are still good and make it through the rest of the winter on all 4 boxes being full....I'm thinking out load again:)

That's sure better then going every 2 weeks. The prices rise dramatically over winter, from 6.50 to $13 during winter so the more I can buy at the beginning of winter the better.

Eventually I want a big storage area the size of a hopper trailer I can have them deliver a big truck load and just back up and dump it all in a solid 3 sided, cemented floor area with a removable cover top. That would be ideal and get me the best price on the cubes but we are still planing how we want the back property set up so that won't get built for a while if ever. lol

Yeah, I think your right Bill. They sure do burn money. lol I spend around $140 a month just in feed. Then there's vets, shots, supplements, trimming there feet, training, tack, fencing, buckets, brushes and so on.

I don't want to know how much I have spent on just there tack (riding gear, saddle, bridle, reins, bit and so on) alone over the past two years let alone all the very day stuff you need to take care of them.

Horses are not a cheap hobby but well worth it for the right horse. I don't compete so I don't make money off my horses but some people do. So there horses make them money from competitions and they can take home a good money prize.

There is money you can make with horses but you have to be in the business for it, train, raise, show or breed them at a higher level to brake even or make money off them.

I just own mine as pets to go for a nice ride around the neighborhood or up in the mountains. There part of the family like a big dog that eats alot but you love him too much to get rid of him. lol

...Do you think if I put box framing on the outside with an x or a / in the middle that would be fine or should I also put some kind of framing on the inside too?

Also, what kind of plywood do I use or thickness. I know I will need to paint it or it will just rot.

For the skids I was thinking 4x4 treated posts to give it some lift off the ground. ....

2 X 4 "X" framing, inside a perimeter frame will be adequate. I wouldn't put the extra framing on the inside. If you do, it'll make it harder to shovel the cubes out, since they'll get hung up on the framing.

¾" exterior plywood will be best, and of course everything That's exposed to the weather will have to be caulked, primed, and painted.

The 4X4 skids are a very good idea. Make sure to cut some tapers on the ends of them so you can tow/shove the boxes around without them 'digging in.'

Use the coated deck screws for assembly. They're stronger than nails, and they won't rust.

Dissenting voice here. (so wats new? ;) )
Enneyhow, unless where you live doesn't have any creepy, crawly, gnawing things, wood would be OK. But, otherwise, you very well could have critters chewing through your wood box to get at that delicious feed inside. DAMHIK :eek:
I'm going to suggest you use metal such as is used for pole barn siding and sheet metal on the bottom. This could go over a wood frame.
Why/how you escaped gnawing critter problems with the Rubbermaid is a puzzlement.
BTW, if you go with wood, I suggest you DO use pressure treated. Two reasons, the stuff on the market today is different than we had a couple years ago. Simple contact with the wood ain't gonna pizzin anything.
Years and years ago, I had an interest in a campground. We were not allowed to build picnic benches from treated wood because of the (supposed/imagined) contact contamination problem. I did some research and found out that to get dangerously poisoned from the chemical (a chromic thing) in the wood, a person would have to EAT :eek: about a half dozen picnic benches. Simple contact is not a genuine concern.

Jim, thank you again for the advice. I will make a trip to Lowe's this week and start picking up the supply's :)

Frank,
I think your right about the treated wood, I recently read an article about building horse fencing and using treated posts. The point was if they are chewing on the threated posts and ingesting it regularly you have to somehow put a stop to the chewing, either tack up chicken wire to the posts to stop the chewing or figure something out to prevent poisoning. I think the poison that's in treated wood has to do with arsenic? It will only harm them if they continue to chew on the posts regularly.

I just put up a new fence and I had to mesh the bottom and hot wire the top to get them to stop chewing all the wood, treated posts included. Horses are like beavers when there bored and can chew though a 2x6 board in no time if they are really getting after it. lol

The only animal around here that chews on things are the horses, note the chain holding the lid down on the bin. lol Muffin will take that lid off the hinges and have his head in the bin like a big buffet, he already did it once so I had to relocate the bin so he couldn't reach it. I have no idea how he got the lid off and it ended up in his stall undamaged but he's a tricky beast sometimes:)

The only critters I would be concerned about are rabbits and they stay on my front grass for the most part if they come in the yard. I haven't caught them chewing through bags of feed so I think they have plenty to graze on in front (and in my neighbors garden!). Plus, they have learned to stay in the front so they have an escape when my dogs come after them. lol The only way on and off my property is through the two front gates I leave open. My dogs are trained not to leave the property line whether the gates are open or not. The rest of the fence line is meshed to keep stray dogs and critters off the property especially out back where the horses are.

I think building it out of wood would be fine, I've never had a problem with critters getting into feed, even bags of oats. I think my dogs keep the critters in check:)

I didn't take measurements today but I will tomorrow and calculate out how many pounds of cubes per square foot since I know it holds around 700lbs. That will give me an estimate on how big I need to build a new bin to store around 1,000lbs atleast.

ok, I got the measurements:

4ft Wide
2 ft deep
2.5 ft tall

20sq ft total

700/20= 35lbs per sq foot

1000lbs/35lbs=28.5sq ft needed to hold 1,000lbs.

So, If I make my box:
5ft long
2.5ft deep
2.5ft tall
=31.25sq feet=1,093.75lbs storage

Does this make since? lol I solve problems kinda backwards, I have always been that way. I think I got it right.....

Ok, So I have the approximate size I would need to store 1,000lbs of cubes. So I need a supply list.

In Feet:
5x3 plywood front board (higher then the back board so the top slants to the back)
5x2.5 plywood back board
2.5Wx3H (2pcs) for the side boards, cut to slop back and match the lid angle.
5Lx2.5W plywood bottom
5.5Lx2.25W plywood top

Remember, buying in bulk wether for you or your horse, the food needs to be edible/tasty when it is time to eat it. You won't save a dime if the cubes are ruined/stale/moldy/etc. Concrete would not be the way to go. Keeping them out of sun/moon/condensation or having air circulation might be needed for long term storage. Just my thoughts. I don't know what the moisture content is in cubes, I am only feeding ten cows with calves and seven horses. So hay is in bales. Just don't want you to get to the last bin and have a terrible surprise, bad cubes, ruined feed, ruined container, lots of money wasted.

Remember, buying in bulk wether for you or your horse, the food needs to be edible/tasty when it is time to eat it. You won't save a dime if the cubes are ruined/stale/moldy/etc. Concrete would not be the way to go. Keeping them out of sun/moon/condensation or having air circulation might be needed for long term storage. Just my thoughts. I don't know what the moisture content is in cubes, I am only feeding ten cows with calves and seven horses. So hay is in bales. Just don't want you to get to the last bin and have a terrible surprise, bad cubes, ruined feed, ruined container, lots of money wasted.

Yeah, I have thought about a way to store them that would keep them edible. I have stored them in the back of my old pick up truck and covered them with a tarp last winter but that's a huge pain to have to pull the tarp back and get in there to scoop them out or make sure the tarp is always secure just in case it gets windy or rains.

I got sick of dealing with that. The company I get the cubes from stores a HUGE pile of them under a gigantic roof and will cover the huge pile in tarps if needed to keep the dew off them.

Cubes are pretty hardy, there very dry to start out with so if you keep them covered or in a container there fine and stay green. You just can't get them wet or your in trouble, they turn to mash and get soft.

I think they will be fine in boxes as long as there waterproofed and the lids are closed when it rains. I can open the lids on a nice day to make sure there dry and no condensation is accumulating in the box and leave it open to air out for the good days.

The horses eat the cubes no matter how old, dry or wet they are. They just can't get wet in the box or they will mold and I won't be able to feed them. I know you know this but for anyone else reading that might not have a horse or know moldy feed can kill a horse.

I don't know what the moisture content is in cubes, I am only feeding ten cows with calves and seven horses.

Ummm:huh: only? :rofl: That's a LOT of mouths to feed!! I'm complaining about two horses and you have 7 plus cows:eek:. I think my Husband would kill me if I got another horse. lol We only got Matty because he is very well trained and an older trustworthy gelding for $500. He's worth much more but the owner didn't want him in a show home, she wanted him to go to a family that would trail ride him and keep him engaged. He got bored with the arena riding and showing so he's retired from that now. He's a 15 yo Andalusian trained in Dressage. I have never rode English in my life so we are turning him into a western trail horse and he is so happy to get out and ride. I never would have thought I would own an English show horse! lol Not that theres anything wrong with English riding, I just ride western.