Garage Sale Deal

Dan Mosley

I stopped at a garage sale today on the way home from the hardware store. I started talking to the guy about some of the tools he had for sale and he told me it was stuff and knew it was only friday and nobody really had stopped by so he told me to make him a offer on anything i wanted. I gathered up a few tools of which some i already have but i saw a nice big vice sitting there. So i offered him $20.00 for the vice and misc other tools
(see photos below).
Pictures 1 - shows a drill attachment which i have seen one of these until today. I suppose it would be of some use for a flexable drill extension but he thru it in with the clamps.............any thoughts on this drill extension ??

Anyway a good deal at the garage sale,........

Attachments

• Drill=2.jpg
    Drill=2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 89
  • garage sale-1.jpg
    garage sale-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 87
  • garage sale-2.jpg
    garage sale-2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 95
  • garage sale-3.jpg
    garage sale-3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 80
  • garage sale-4.jpg
    garage sale-4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 84
Nice little haul for 20 bucks. :thumb: The "drill extension" is a flex shaft, for using small burrs, grinding stones, sanding drums, and other Dremel-style attachments. I'm guessing it was originally meant to attach to a dedicated flex shaft motor, like a Foredom tool.

http://foredom.com/

Dan,

Ooops, Vaughn beat me to it.

So, that's what you were telling me you got? Looks good to me. The vise or the dowel jigs are both each worth what you paid. Just don't hammer too hard on the vise though. It's a fairly decent import. No need to see if the cast iron will take it.

The flex shaft (drill attachment) will come in handy sometime. I have a bigger one mounted on a 1/3 hp motor and another small one for my dremel. They do get used. It looks like this one is intended to be hooked to a drill though Vaughn. The little spindle on the one end looks to be about 1/4" diameter. Ya think?

I agree with Don, that dowel jig on the right is the better one.

Nice deal. Glad you got it.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
...It looks like this one is intended to be hooked to a drill though Vaughn. The little spindle on the one end looks to be about 1/4" diameter. Ya think?...

Yep, I think you're right.
yes.gif
I wonder what holds the outer sleeve to keep it from spinning. Do you suppose the handpiece is all that's needed to keep the sleeve from rotating? :huh: (I've got a Dremel version, so it's a bit different.) However it works, it should be a handy addition to Dan's arsenal.

Yup, even on the big one I have, it doesn't have any connection of the outer housing to anything, and it has a 1/2" shaft on it. It is hooked up to my motor by a sleeve that has 2 set screws that grab the flat on the motor shaft, I have been tempted to try it on my big drill press using a piece of 1/2" shaft held in the chuck. I can't check it right now, but I think mine is from Craftsman.

Sorry for the hijack Dan.

Aloha, Tony

Nice haul !!

I've use my dowel centering jig as a stop block on my miter saw ever since I bought a biscuit joiner. I saw that tip somewhere. I do however, hate the biscuit joiner and may switch back.

Toni - no problem - not a hijack at all as i like to read what you and others are using this type of a tool on and doing with it.

I would assume that i could use this in a drill press or a hand drill. I have an old Foredom tool my self (another garage sale special) and i use it at times to enhance things on my turning etc -. The one thing i have to say is with my Foredom (and im sure on this flex shaft) that the straigher you keep the shaft during operation the less friction build up you get - meaning it will get hot fast if your bending the flex shaft to much while using it. However, the Foredom works very well even though it is very old. You know with mine when to straighten it out when working because the hand pc (metal) gets hot and its time to stop for a bit and figure out how to straighten out the shaft some more.
The bits i use are cheap ones i got from HF and some from Lowes that are HSS. The carbide were much more expensive at Lowes so i just bought the HSS. They are ok for what i use them for but they also dull quick to in my opinion but, then again i paid about $2.00 each for them so i cant complain to much.
I have not used it for anything yet but wood carving of cracks and such to fix some turnings. I have some stones and flap sanding discs with the accessories. I have seen where some will take the tennon on a turning down to a very small nub, carve it off and use the flap sander with a fine grit to touch up the bottom of their vessels and consider the bottom of the turning done at that time.
Yep a handy tool when you need it........guess im rattling on and getting off topic .........

The one thought i had for this flexshaft tool i got is.... im wondering if i could put a drill bit extension in the little chuck, then put a bigger flap sander on it, attach to a hand held drill, put the lathe on a slow speed say 200 or so and use it to sand the interior of some turnings. Meaning turning with a decent size opening (common sense here - not small narrow openings).

Dan, I have a flex extension, similar to what you got. Mine is one of the many misc. inherited tools in my shop. I have used it only a couple times. If you are using one, the power end must be securely fastened as it wants to turn. So, the idea of a hand drill is only a 'maybe' if you can hold it down someway.
I'm thinking (I do that now and then ;) ) that you may have hit on an idea though. If you are able to chuck your bowl to the tailstock, you could put a Jacobs chuck on the headstock, fasten the extension there and sand away on the bowl using the lathe motor for your power.

Frank - yeah that is what i was tyring to think up - a way to hold it and i could sand it a bit but i havent figured out a way yet but ill let you know as soon as i have a chance to get out to the garage......Dan