More Candle Holders

glenn bradley

Only 82 days, 15 hours and 10 minutes till Christmas. Can it really be so close!?!

Attachments

• More Candle Holder Oct 2009 001.jpg
    More Candle Holder Oct 2009 001.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 76
  • More Candle Holder Oct 2009 002.jpg
    More Candle Holder Oct 2009 002.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 70
Only 82 days, 15 hours and 10 minutes till Christmas. Can it really be so close!?!

I love the looks of the arched candle holders, Im thinking of using a 1.25 inch fortsner and cutting 1/2 inch deep for tealights only, this way the 3 arches can nest inside of each other when not in use, just a visual thing.although yours will take atealight also, Im just too lazy to go out an buy voltive glass

I love the looks of the arched candle holders, Im thinking of using a 1.25 inch fortsner and cutting 1/2 inch deep for tealights only, this way the 3 arches can nest inside of each other when not in use, just a visual thing.although yours will take atealight also, Im just too lazy to go out an buy voltive glass

Thanks Allen. If they're just for looks, that'll work great. I tried just the metal cups (which can be burned with the cup enclosed in a recess) but the metal showed where the arch declines and I didn't like that so much. The clear plastic cups look good but warn that they should stand in the open when burning (as in not dropped into a recess).

I also played with just setting the candle itself in a properly sized hole. That looked cool but, like the plastic cups, knowing the folks I hang out with, one of them would light the candle, leave for the market and burn their house down :rofl:. These are easy and fun to make. Great scrap eaters too.

I like those Glenn. Obviously you consider them a "set". Any idea what the price tag would say in a gift shop?

Cheers.

never thought about the descent of the arch, yeah, the tin will stick out, so how bout cutting the holes a bit deeper, will be planted deeper, but I think will give same look. Ill have to try it out when Im home and see how it looks on one of them
Id guestimate the cost of that at 29-39 dollars, because I dont think anyone would pay much more even though they are hand crafted.(but I shop at walmart also)Overstock...................com has a set of six, not as nice ofcourse as Glens, but similar design, for 39.00

Last edited:
Those are all very nice, Glenn.

And to respectfully disagree with Bob, you're not "lighting the way". Instead, you've had a burning, overarching desire to illuminate the holidays. :D

Well Glenn, with so many presents to give to so many people I wonder what you'll be getting...;)

I love them all, both the straight with the feet and the semicircular ones, and the idea of using the wood to make a nesting set is great, simple and efective.

Not to mention the fantastics results, how did you finish them if I may ask?

how did you finish them if I may ask?

Couldn't be easier.

• Sand to 220
  • Flood with BLO (first coat will soak in in a few minutes)
  • Flood with BLO again
  • Wait 20 - 30 minutes and aggressively wipe off any excess
  • Let dry a few days, rubbing off any weeping now and again
  • 6 coats of clear shellac; sand with 400 - 600 or rub with a gray syntho pad between coats so it ends up super smooth
  • Let dry overnight
  • Apply some paste wax and buff

They look awsome,Glenn,as do most every thing you do. It just bothers me that you are so ahead of the Christmas shopping. I usually start about 2 weeks before Christmas and am trying to finish up on Christmas morning.:rofl:

Couldn't be easier.

• Sand to 220
  • Flood with BLO (first coat will soak in in a few minutes)
  • Flood with BLO again
  • Wait 20 - 30 minutes and aggressively wipe off any excess
  • Let dry a few days, rubbing off any weeping now and again
  • 6 coats of clear shellac; sand with 400 - 600 or rub with a gray syntho pad between coats so it ends up super smooth
  • Let dry overnight
  • Apply some paste wax and buff

Thanks Glenn, but what is a syntho pad? is it similar to Scotch Brite?

Question: doesn't the BLO prevent the shellac sticking to the piece? I would have thought so. I guess it doesn't as you do it but ...:dunno:

What about tung oil? can one apply shellac or PU varnish on top of it?

Really NICE! -- Well done! :) and now the silly theme --

I know that they will lighten any environment and throw the light on the surroundings which will brighten and put shine on all things near, irradiate; literary illumine, illume, enlighten.

Thanks Glenn, but what is a syntho pad? is it similar to Scotch Brite?

Yes. I am referring to the synthetic abrasive pads. I use ones that are about equal to 0000 steel wool the most.

Question: doesn't the BLO prevent the shellac sticking to the piece? I would have thought so. I guess it doesn't as you do it but ...:dunno:

No problem there at all. It is important to let the BLO (and I imagine any oil) completely dry. As Bill pointed out a 50/50 mix with mineral spirits or other compatible product reduces the solids density and allows quicker drying. I once flooded red oak with BLO till it wouldn't take any more per some instructions . . . it weeped oil for two weeks!!!

What about tung oil? can one apply shellac or PU varnish on top of it?

I would expect if the oil is fully cured that shellac will stick just fine. I have found little (other than a waxed surface; oops) that shellac will not stick to.

Last edited: