Thread: Oval turning?

Lafayette, Indiana

Oval turning?

Has anyone turned anything oval before. I'm thinking about a serving type "platter" for the center of a dinner table. Kind of like a plate but longer. Anyone have any photos of any or tips or links to how to tips? I have some blanks that are much longer than they are wide and was wondering if this can be done. I would assume a different kind of chuck setup would be necessary. Just something that I was thinking about.

Poway, CA, near San Diego
    Don't know too much about turning, but I did see a show on TV that had a factory in New England (I think) that made oval items. They had very old, very large lathes with special headstocks that moved the blank in and out so the edge followed an oval path. Not something you could do at home. Seems like a router setup might be the way to do it.
    Good luck,

Central Illinois
    You might be able to do it with an "offset" chuck. It has a special name, but could not come up with it.

Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

ABQ NM
    To turn a true oval, a special mechanism is needed. One of our former members built this one:

You can also turn an "oval" blank into a bowl that looks oval, but is actually a circle with sides missing:
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    I don't need any 'special' mechanism. Everything I turn comes out oval.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Phoenix, AZ
    Here's a link to the Vicmarc VOD (vicmarc oval device.) The only one I know about.

The only regular use for one I've ever heard about is a guy who makes hat blanks for ladies hat shops. There is a video at the bottom of the linked page showing installation.

Ken Easley

Cornwall, England
    Depending on the width of the wood you may be able to do it by turning on 3 centres, 1 each for the wider sides and one for the the two ends.

That's how I do this clock though I also tilted it on the face plate as well to get the extra detail in the bottom

Hope this helps