Oval turning?

Tom Baugues

Has anyone turned anything oval before. I'm thinking about a serving type "platter" for the center of a dinner table. Kind of like a plate but longer. Anyone have any photos of any or tips or links to how to tips? I have some blanks that are much longer than they are wide and was wondering if this can be done. I would assume a different kind of chuck setup would be necessary. Just something that I was thinking about.

Tom

Don't know too much about turning, but I did see a show on TV that had a factory in New England (I think) that made oval items. They had very old, very large lathes with special headstocks that moved the blank in and out so the edge followed an oval path. Not something you could do at home. Seems like a router setup might be the way to do it.
Good luck,
Bob

Depending on the width of the wood you may be able to do it by turning on 3 centres, 1 each for the wider sides and one for the the two ends.

That's how I do this clock though I also tilted it on the face plate as well to get the extra detail in the bottom

Hope this helps

Pete