Thread: Clamp loosening up

Clamp loosening up

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not please move it where it belongs to.

I have a clamp that is about 35 years old and it has started to get loose.

If I clamp something to glue it normally it holds but if I clamp something to work on it i.e. planing, it gets loose.

Is there any solution different from drilling evenly spaced holes on it and putting a pin?

I do not want to discard it as it is in very good condition.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni, I don't have an answer for you, but I've moved your question over to the General Woodworking Q&A area so more folks will see it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kind of hard to understand what the problem is without knowing what type of clamp you have. A picture would be best.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Toni,
    I am assuming that it is one of the wooden clamps with the 2 pieces of threaded rod used to tighten and loosen. If it is you could get the next size threaded rod Put some handles on it and replace the existing ones.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Sorry guys, I should have thought about posting a pic of it.

Here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clamp01.jpg   clamp02.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Sounds like it is getting worn enough to where it vibrates lose from the planing. Either use it just for clamping or see if you can fill in some of the slop.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I think the back looks smooth, maybe take a file and cut some grooves in it
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not please move it where it belongs to.

I have a clamp that is about 35 years old and it has started to get loose.

If I clamp something to glue it normally it holds but if I clamp something to work on it i.e. planing, it gets loose.

Is there any solution different from drilling evenly spaced holes on it and putting a pin?

I do not want to discard it as it is in very good condition.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    The natural resonance of the machine is probably working against you on this one.

Before modifying the clamp, if you have access to a material I call shelf liner, a non skid material for motor homes, travel trailers etc., you might give it a shot by cementing a piece on the clamp anvil and swivel to absorb some of that resonance.

I find that type of clamp to be bad about walking as it is tightened unless it has perfect alignment and this material prevents that a great deal. Once you have used it you'll probably find several uses for it in the shop as I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-003F.JPG