Shop Dog

We all enjoy showing off our shops as well as admiring shops of others, but what about the Shop Dogs. Those 4 legged creatures that like to spend the day with us in our shops, laying in a pile of sawdust, chewing on a piece of scrap wood. Lets see those Shop Dogs guys.:thumb:

Here's mine, her name is Lacey and she'll stand by the door to my shop waiting for me to open the door. None of my tools seem to bother her, in fact she likes having the loose hair sucked off of her with the shop vac.

Attachments

• DCAO0041.JPG
    DCAO0041.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 151
  • DCAO0042.JPG
    DCAO0042.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 143
  • DCAO0045.JPG
    DCAO0045.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 135
razz (450 x 600).jpg

Picture of my best buddy taken in better days.
Razz is now 15 yrs. old. His kidneys are failing, he has lost over half his body weight in the past year. His legs and hips are going. He has trouble standing, is half deaf, and sleeps a lot.
I have never in my life had a more loyal and dedicated friend.

He did't really like the shop noise but he would sit there and bear it. He used to jump up on my carpeted workbench and wait to be brushed. He hated the vac.

He can't make it down the basement stairs anymore so he lies at the top of the stairs and waits for me.

I'm sure some of you guys can understand the incredible bond that you can have with your dog.

Here are my two shop managers. Big Bandit on the right, two year old Bull Mastiff. Learning his manners, got him this spring when some friends split.
Managers of the jobsite.JPG

Now the deer are in Lou Ann's garden because Lilly wants to sleep on a chunk of carpet in the shop at night. White boxer, transplanted from the city (she couldn't be turned loose) now she lives a loose life!!
Front done I.jpg
She is THE shop dog at my farm. Never had a more devoted, friendly, intense dog in my life. There is an old saying you get one good horse and one good dog in your life. I have been blessed with a couple great horses I raised, now Lilly. I swear she knows the english language! Scary sometimes. Look forward to seeing the other shop managers in the woodshop world.

Hope I am not stepping on someone's toes, their owner's surely have better pictures, but here is a shot of two "famous" dogs that belong to tourdewood's men. Met them the other night. Lokai is on a tourdewood, Webster had him over for a sleep over and was quite the congenial host. So kudos to those two, hope their owners post them.
Buddies.jpg

Here's a shot of one of mine she's a 2 year old lab. Her name is Apple. I'll have to get one of my other, he's a 3 year old boxer named Joe. They are both great dogs.

Attachments

• dogs 004 (Medium).jpg
    dogs 004 (Medium).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 46
Shana (see my avatar) is a two year old Standard Schnauzer. She spends a lot of time in the shop with me. She doesn't mind the machinery noises, except for the router. She leaves when I use that, but otherwise is content to sit in the big chair in the corner and keep watch.

BTW, she and Lokai became instant friends, and spent quite a wile exploring the back yard together.

Al 5 of my shop dogs are rescues.10-03-09 001.JPG
The brown one in the front was found at a grease recycling place by a friend of ours and had a broken rear leg. His name is Jake and was 7 wks old when we got him.
Luke is the black dog with brown patches. Our dautghers math teacher found him and 2 others in a box in a drainage ditch. He was about 8 wks old when we got him.
The black dog in the middle laying down is Chelsey and is Luke's sister. We took her in when the person who had her didn't want her anymore. Said she was food aggresive. Have not had a single problem with her at all.
The black dog in the middle sittng is Destiny. Our neighbor also found her and dropped her off at our house to find a home for her. She kind of smelled like a skunk so we kept her.
And finaly there is Sammy in the back. He was about 1 yr old when my wife took him from the nieghbor cause they kept him chained up in the backyard behind a shed in a mud puddle and would never do anything with him.

These dogs love to be in the shop with the tools running and tend to fall asleep right where I would need to stand or walk.

Starbuck.

Here's a picture of my crazy almost 2 year old lab Starbuck. (Named after the female Starbuck character in the latest recreation of the Battlestar Galactica tv show)

I'm not sure she really enjoys the shop, but her problem is she can't stand to be in a different room from me. She follows me around like a shadow.

So if she's not in the garage she pouts, but if she's in the garage, she's not really interested.

All things being equal, she'd rather I was outside doing yardwork so she could run around and play...

In this picture, I think she was tired of having her photo taken and made sure her eyes were closed.

bucky_eyesclosed.jpg

Audrey is my shop dog. She usually doesn't mind the noise, but usually put her back in the house when running any loud tools.

DPP_pan_0007.JPG

We've got three rescues, and although all of them visit the shop from time to time, none of them are really shop dogs. I have enough trouble keeping from tracking chips and dust into the house myself, I don't need their help, too. :p

This is Sasha, a.k.a. Boo-Boo. She was my dog before LOML and I moved into the same house. She's the smart one of the three. She enjoys being "on command" and works with both verbal commands and hand signals. She wants to be the boss of everyone, but she still knows Mom and Dad have the final word. We're not sure what breeds she's got in her. I tell folks she's a purebred Yellowdog.

Couch Girl 800.jpg Sasha 800 LR.jpg

This is Dakota, a.k.a. Bud. He was originally LOML's dog, but after we all moved in together, he definitely became a Daddy's Boy. He's my best buddy ever, and I'm his world. He's a clown in a dog outfit, and although he's big, he gets along well with everyone and everything. Cats and squirrels may think he's chasing them, but he's really just trying to go meet them face-to-face. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's a big lover and my favorite dog ever. We're not sure what breed(s) he is, but he looks most like a Hovawart, a pretty uncommon German breed.

Sleepy Boy 1 - 800.jpg Oops 5T - 800.jpg

And this is Phoenix, aka Fuzz, our latest rescue. Although we got Sasha and Dakota from rescue organizations, Phoenix found us himself. One weekend morning the neighbor across the street came over to tell us we had a dog under our front hedges. I'm convinced he had crawled under the bushes to die. He was emaciated, missing about half of his fur, and had multiple large open sores where he had chewed himself raw from itching. He could barely stand or walk. I've never seen an animal that close to death come back, but he did. With the help of numerous vets and some generous friends, he got a new lease on life with us. According to DNA testing, he's pretty much purebred Akita, although he's a lot skinnier than any I've seen. He's our "special needs" child. He's deaf, has a chronic skin condition that causes him to itch like mad sometimes, he has immunity deficiencies that make him very susceptible to infections, his joints are underdeveloped (the vets guess he was malnourished as a puppy) so he walks with a goofy gait. He gets more medications in a month than I've taken in the last 5 years. He also doesn't understand "dog language", so he doesn't abide by typical "pack rules", much to Sasha's chagrin. (We have to keep them separated when we're not home.) Despite being weak and slow-moving, his Akita genes kick in when he sees a strange dog, and he often wants to fight. He's usually off in a little world of his own. If I had to pick a human condition to compare to, I'd say he's autistic. He is LOML's baby, and she smothers him with love. He also thinks Dad's pretty cool. I think he likes to hang out with me just to get away from all the smooches LOML gives him. :p

Phoenix Progress - 03 800.jpg Phoenix Head Shot 1 800.jpg

Vaughn,

Daisy the blue heeler we had suffered from constant scratching. Didn't have fleas mites or anyother kind of bugs or infections of the skin. The vet put her on predazone ( not sure of the spelling) and she would just about stop the scratching.

When we got the other rescue dogs we tried her on the puppy pedigree and after about 3 wks she pretty much stopped scratching. Apparently she wasn't getting enough of some vitamin from the other dogfood that she was getting from the puppy food.

Don't know if this will help but it sure made life better for Daisy.

Vaughn,

Daisy the blue heeler we had suffered from constant scratching. Didn't have fleas mites or anyother kind of bugs or infections of the skin. The vet put her on predazone ( not sure of the spelling) and she would just about stop the scratching.

When we got the other rescue dogs we tried her on the puppy pedigree and after about 3 wks she pretty much stopped scratching. Apparently she wasn't getting enough of some vitamin from the other dogfood that she was getting from the puppy food.

Don't know if this will help but it sure made life better for Daisy.

Thanks Alan. He's on puppy Pedigree already, and he gets fish oil supplements, too. I don't remember the exact name of his doggie dermatitis, but it's like severe eczema where he breaks out in a rash. The vets have him on a combination of drugs, the main one being cyclosporine, a very strong immunosuppressant drug (used for transplant patients). Although he gets it daily, it's generally not recommended for animals to be on it for long periods of time, as it can shorten their life expectancy. We figure we'd rather have him live two years in moderate comfort as opposed to four years itching and scratching himself raw.

See avatar. My is named homer as, well he acts like one. Will lay under the outfeed table while the tools are runnin and gets coated w/sawdust. Only thing he hates is the compressor and nail guns. Only chews on red oak and mirka brand sand paper.:rolleyes: Yes he was a resuce dog. Does not make a good guard dog as he does not growel or bark.

Awesome dogs guys and my hat comes off to to those with rescue dogs. Today the oldest of our 2 decided to get out of the house for a while and hang out in the shop. Her name is Dixie, and is right at 6 years old. She loves chasing squirrels and has actually caught 2. Her dad (Charlie) is a rescue dog that my wife pulled out of a ditch one morning while headed to work. Wifes son has Charlie now. All are very spoiled. Even though Dixie is smaller than Lacey, Dixie runs the roost. Dixie also has her very own Lazy-Boy rocking chair.

Attachments

• DCAO0052.JPG
    DCAO0052.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DCAO0053.JPG
    DCAO0053.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 44