Hollowing First attmept and questions

Dan Mosley

Today i have about 3hrs of free time and decided to slowly make a hollow form now that i have my Monster hollowing rig which was still in the box. So off the the garage i went and sat down for a bit to think about how i wanted to approach making my first hollow form. I can remember someone telling me that you should make a wide open bowl and use it that way so you can see exactly what the rig and lazer are doing. It makes alot of good sense to do that but oohhhhhh nooooo i decided im going for it and making a narrow open vessel with a fair amount of depth to it.....

Picked up a nice pc of wood chucked it up and turned the outside of the vessel and made my tennon - reversed it and thought to myself i have a good idea.....placed a drill bit in my chuck and bored it down but it would not go as deep as i needed to go so i have some auger bits that are long so i attached them after the first pilot hole was drilled and then drilled again to the depth i wanted (wobbled a alot gonig in that deep) (see Pic-1-3)

Then i grabbed my index cutter and Ci1 and hogged out a large portion of the vessel. Figured this would good for a large part of the hollowing so i tried it - worked well but i had to make the opening just a bit bigger than i wanted but it was my first shot on making a vessel so during the hollowing the tennon got torn up bad and broke in area - probably due to me tightening it hard and when cutting (the wood was very dry) it was jumping a bit - tools were all sharp also. I stopped and thought well i guess that is that for this pc of wood - broke tennon and partly hollowed - no way to hold it in the machine now...........Then i remembered the cone i bought after a hollowing class i took so i made a cone plug for the shaft and put it in the lathe - (see Pics-4&5)..... jambing it between the opening and the broken tennon and turned a new tennon in moments.

So now back in buss and put it back into the chuck and finished the rough hollowing;);)

Cleaned up well and put my stool in front of the lathe and stared putting together the Hollowing rig. Had my lap top with the "how to" file on it from Monster Tools on my work bench and thought i was all set........"Wrong"......
As i was putting it together my lap top flashes that it has a system error and needs to shut down...........WHAT !!!!!!! well ok alot of bad words....

So i got as far as i could and it was getting late and now i had to fix a computer problem. Last set of pictures shows how i left it until i have more time........hopefully tomm ill have a chance.........

Question - i need to assemble the laser next on it and i not quit clear how it assembles and holds down on the arm part...anybody have a pic they can post showing this part of the assembly ?

Ok thanks for listening.......Dan

Attachments

• auger-1.jpg
    auger-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Boring-1.jpg
    Boring-1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Boring=2.jpg
    Boring=2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Cone-1.jpg
    Cone-1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Cone-2.jpg
    Cone-2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Hollowing-1.jpg
    Hollowing-1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Hollowing-2.jpg
    Hollowing-2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Hollowing-3.jpg
    Hollowing-3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Hollowing-4.jpg
    Hollowing-4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 40
Dan, I'm not sure what part of the laser arm you're asking about, but maybe this pic from the Monster website will help?

ii_41.gif

The square laser arm sits in a square notch in the bracket that's attached to the vertical rod. There's a thumbscrew that holds a washer down on the top of the square laser arm to lock it into place.

And congrats on getting the new rig dirty. :thumb:

Vaughn - yes this will help and thanks - got the computer working again - ill go at it again tomm. and im sure post more questions - so far the assembly has been going fine.

Dan I have a couple of obervations. This is just me and my humble opinion. First I think that Ci1 tool you used is the reason your tenon broke. I may be wrong but I think that tool just put to much pressure on your tenon especially one extended out from the chuck. I don't think the chuck was tightened to tight. I have found light cuts are better. Second I don't drill HF's as I turn in thirds. I have found I like to hollow 1/3 of the HF at a time and then refine that portion before going deeper to keep as much mass as I can on the headstock end. Also will help cut down on chatter when trying to refine the inside as does the steady rest help also. The steady rest looks like a Jeff model. Vaughn already sent you a pic's that was basically what I was going to send. Anyway just some thoughts on a cold, dreary Sunday morning. Have a good day turning Dan.

Bernie - - - Yes i think your right it was to much stress from the Ci1 that probably ruined the tenon. I was probably takiing to heavy of a cut for the hollowing. When i hollow bowls i have done the same thing and your right its from to aggressive of a cut. I will keep that in mind but i still love to hollow with my Ci1 and ill have to learn to take lighter cuts.......
When hollowing out bowls etc i agree i usually will rough turn and when i finish turn or want to finsih hollowing ill do it in thirds also to keep down the chatter from the warping. I did not do this totally in that manner with this pc of wood because it was very dry and i was in a hurry to get to a point to try out the hollowing rig.
However whether its just learned habit or whatever you want to call it i like drilling my depth hole and have just used to using it. I realize you can do either or depending on your preference. I have just gotton comfortable with the hole drilling. When i do bowls i have a large bore type bit that is big and a large Chuck on my Jet and can bore out the hole fast to the depth im shooting for. i just find it easier to have the hole i guess.
Sorry about your dreary morning - here in So Calif it was a great day and not very hot for once and i was able to spend 1/2 the day playing with the rig.....see next post for todays journey.....

Thanks Dan

Drilling a hole is all about being comfortable. I use the tool to drill down. I will drill down about a 1/3 of the depth of the vessel. I then hollow that out. Once that is done and the top and sides are refined to 3/16" I then go down another 1/3. Hollow out and refine. I then hollow out the bottom 1/3 and refine that. Then I will take the hunter tool attachment I got from Randy for the articulating arm unit and smooth the whole inside taking extremely light cuts. Most time of the time it is smooth enough I don't even sand especially with a small opening. Keep at it Dan. It will come.