Mini Birdhouses

Well finally finished up Christmas ornaments. 32 mini birdhouses, 35ornaments, 12 bells, and a few snowmen. Here are a 4 newer versions I finished today along with 5 of the others I normally do. These are smaller than the others I have did. Everything is turned on these. The little flame on top, the roof, the body, the perch, the bottom of the birdhouse and the acorn finial on the bottom. I can do about 3 of the other style I turn to one of these but have just done the four. I got the idea from Bob Rosand. He told me to run with them. I thought I would get tired of turning all of it but these are a lot of fun to do and you need to be fairly accurate with your turning of the top and bottom finials to get them to look decent. First one is Cherry, Maple, Walnut. The second is walnut, maple and gaboon ebony. The 3rd and 4th are walnut, maple and redheart.

Attachments

• Acorn Birdhouse 9.jpg
    Acorn Birdhouse 9.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Acorn Birdhouse 8.jpg
    Acorn Birdhouse 8.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks everyone. Yes Tom they are more work than those in the second picture but sure are fun. It is kinda neat to try to figure out which woods work together. The small turnings really help with your turning skills also.

Those are very nice. You put a lot of work into the finials. I notice, on the first batch, you even turned the perchs. My wife thinks they should all have tiny birds on them. She even bought me a bunch to make sure I would have them. Do you find acceptance better/worse/no different with/without birds?

Bernie, those are beautiful. I'm a new member but have been lurking awhile. I've been impressed by your birdhouses, the wood selection, design and quality of the finishes. I think you need to move to Tennessee so I can spend some quality time at the feet of the master.

Depends on what kind of mini birds you have in your neighborhood. :rofl::rofl:

I know about mini-mouse but mini-bird ? :rolleyes::eek:

do mini-birds who're trained ride mini-cycles? :rolleyes:

Tim, Welcome to the forums, and trust me, you'll learn just by watching on here. During this weekend's shop tour at my place during Rennie's Perspective tour, the comment was made how I do nice work. My thought then and now was 'only because I learn from everyone online'.

Thanks again. Tim they are easy to make and best of all you can use your scraps. I use 1 1/2" square by 3" long for the body. 2 1/2" by 3" long for the tops. I generally have enough left after turning the top to make the bottom as it only has to be about 1/4" thick. The top flame, perch and acorn finial I use a pen blank which I have gathered hundreds over the last few years. The first picture all six pieces are turned. The ones in the second picture Just the top, perch and body are turned. So quite a bit faster to do.