Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Alex, did my boat beat yours........?

Hey Alex, did my boat beat yours........?

look was was sitting on my doorstep......

Attachment 3341
    Whoo-Hoo!!

Attachment 3342
    Got the extension bed, two spindle gouges, an oval skew, vacuum chuck adapter for the lathe and some sanding discs!!

Attachment 3344
    All right, now I've got a full sized lathe!

Attachment 3343
    There is the extension bed installed, but I need a few spacers and I need to drill and tap some holes

Attachment 3345
    The vacuum adapter installed, but the knock out bar does not fit, just not fit..........

Attachment 3346
    So I drilled it out, it looks like it was not finished, as it was not smooth on the inside..........

Attachment 3347
    There, fits now!

Attachment 3348
    There you go, now I need to make a vacuum chuck, anyone have some online plans?

Attachment 3349
    used a piece of plastic electrical conduit.

One more box to go, they forgot a few things and are sending it out with free shipping!

So Alex, did you get your box?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks like you got a stealth gloat going on here Stu. I was looking at the Pinnacle chisels. They look nice and the price is decent. The extension bed is going to give a whole bunch more elbow room as well as capacity. I got half my order on Sunday. Some replacement blades for the 8" jointer (those puppies are a 100 bucks a set) and planer blades, some F-clamps and a new TS blade. This was stuff I ordered from Woodworkers Supply. The other half is coming from Woodcraft. The tool addiction is getting so bad I'm double booking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Reid View Post
    The tool addiction is getting so bad I'm double booking.
    just wait alex......you`ll know it`s bad when double bookin` is from the likes of martin and komo .......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Great gloat Stu, congrats! Just curious Stu but, why would you need a knockout bar with a vac-chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Reid View Post
    Looks like you got a stealth gloat going on here Stu. I was looking at the Pinnacle chisels. They look nice and the price is decent. The extension bed is going to give a whole bunch more elbow room as well as capacity. I got half my order on Sunday. Some replacement blades for the 8" jointer (those puppies are a 100 bucks a set) and planer blades, some F-clamps and a new TS blade. This was stuff I ordered from Woodworkers Supply. The other half is coming from Woodcraft. The tool addiction is getting so bad I'm double booking.
    The Pinnacle tools look nice, the only thing I don't like is the "Made in China" stamp on the steel........Oh well

What blade did you get?

BTW, did I ever give you the info for the blade sharpening service I found?

They do a good job and are reasonable, the sharpening price includes the shipping back to you.

I have a coulpe more lathe tools coming, as well as a 24" straight edge (about time I got one )

Cheers!

PS........ what.......... no pictures
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post
    Great gloat Stu, congrats! Just curious Stu but, why would you need a knockout bar with a vac-chuck?
    Well I guess in hindsight I don't but, you see the vacuum adapter fit so tight into the handwheel that it was hard to remove, and I thought the idea of removing that adapter each time I wanted to use the lathe in a non-vacuum chuck mode would be a pain, and hard on the adapter............. but now, with the hose adapter on the vacuum adapter, the vacuum adapter comes out fairly easily.....

Oh yeah, the hole for the grub screw to hold the vacuum adapter in place in the hand wheel was there, but not threaded, as it says it is in the instructions for the vacuum adapter.......it is now...!
    William Arthur Ward

Did you also get a dungeon stretcher?
    And who wuz ye kidding about never needing to turn long stuff?
    Enjoy the new toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Did you also get a dungeon stretcher?
    And who wuz ye kidding about never needing to turn long stuff?
    Enjoy the new toys.
    Frank I knew one day I'd get the extention, but when the #1 DIY magazine editor calls and wants to do another photoshoot with me turning table legs, heck, it was a darn good excuse to get the extension

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Frank I knew one day I'd get the extention, but when the #1 DIY magazine editor calls and wants to do another photoshoot with me turning table legs, heck, it was a darn good excuse to get the extension

Cheers!
    oh-no........stu the celebrity .......will you be able to talk to us common folk once you become "norm-san"
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Don't worry buddy, it has not gone to my head, but I figure I'll get a few "www.bigblue.jp" stickers placed around the lathe, good free advertising!

BTW, did you see this.........

DoPa <- English on the right, Japanese on the left, click for larger pics....

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward