Hey Alex, did my boat beat yours........?

Stuart Ablett

look was was sitting on my doorstep......

box_o_fun.jpg
Whoo-Hoo!! :thumb:

latest_haul.jpg
Got the extension bed, two spindle gouges, an oval skew, vacuum chuck adapter for the lathe and some sanding discs!! :D

longer_lathe.jpg
All right, now I've got a full sized lathe!

extention_bed.jpg
There is the extension bed installed, but I need a few spacers and I need to drill and tap some holes

knock_out_bar_no_go.jpg
The vacuum adapter installed, but the knock out bar does not fit, just not fit..........:huh:

drill_out_vacuum_adapter.jpg
So I drilled it out, it looks like it was not finished, as it was not smooth on the inside.......... :dunno:

fits_now.jpg
There, fits now! :thumb:

vacuum_adapter_setup.jpg
There you go, now I need to make a vacuum chuck, anyone have some online plans?

vacuum_adapter_close_up.jpg
used a piece of plastic electrical conduit.

One more box to go, they forgot a few things and are sending it out with free shipping!

So Alex, did you get your box?

Cheers!

Looks like you got a stealth gloat going on here Stu. I was looking at the Pinnacle chisels. They look nice and the price is decent. The extension bed is going to give a whole bunch more elbow room as well as capacity. :thumb: I got half my order on Sunday. Some replacement blades for the 8" jointer (those puppies are a 100 bucks a set) and planer blades, some F-clamps and a new TS blade. This was stuff I ordered from Woodworkers Supply. The other half is coming from Woodcraft. The tool addiction is getting so bad I'm double booking. :eek:

Looks like you got a stealth gloat going on here Stu. I was looking at the Pinnacle chisels. They look nice and the price is decent. The extension bed is going to give a whole bunch more elbow room as well as capacity. :thumb: I got half my order on Sunday. Some replacement blades for the 8" jointer (those puppies are a 100 bucks a set) and planer blades, some F-clamps and a new TS blade. This was stuff I ordered from Woodworkers Supply. The other half is coming from Woodcraft. The tool addiction is getting so bad I'm double booking. :eek:

The Pinnacle tools look nice, the only thing I don't like is the "Made in China" stamp on the steel........Oh well :rolleyes:

What blade did you get?

BTW, did I ever give you the info for the blade sharpening service I found?

They do a good job and are reasonable, the sharpening price includes the shipping back to you.

I have a coulpe more lathe tools coming, as well as a 24" straight edge (about time I got one :rolleyes: )

Cheers!

PS........ what.......... no pictures :eek:

Great gloat Stu, congrats! Just curious Stu but, why would you need a knockout bar with a vac-chuck?

Well I guess in hindsight I don't but, you see the vacuum adapter fit so tight into the handwheel that it was hard to remove, and I thought the idea of removing that adapter each time I wanted to use the lathe in a non-vacuum chuck mode would be a pain, and hard on the adapter............. but now, with the hose adapter on the vacuum adapter, the vacuum adapter comes out fairly easily.....

Oh yeah, the hole for the grub screw to hold the vacuum adapter in place in the hand wheel was there, but not threaded, as it says it is in the instructions for the vacuum adapter.......it is now...!

Did you also get a dungeon stretcher? :rofl:
And who wuz ye kidding about never needing to turn long stuff? :huh: ;)
Enjoy the new toys.

Frank I knew one day I'd get the extention, but when the #1 DIY magazine editor calls and wants to do another photoshoot with me turning table legs, heck, it was a darn good excuse to get the extension :D

Cheers!

Frank I knew one day I'd get the extention, but when the #1 DIY magazine editor calls and wants to do another photoshoot with me turning table legs, heck, it was a darn good excuse to get the extension :D

Cheers!

oh-no........stu the celebrity:eek: .......will you be able to talk to us common folk once you become "norm-san":rolleyes:

Don't worry buddy, it has not gone to my head, but I figure I'll get a few "www.bigblue.jp" stickers placed around the lathe, good free advertising! :D

BTW, did you see this.........

DoPa <- English on the right, Japanese on the left, click for larger pics....

Cheers!

The Pinnacle tools look nice, the only thing I don't like is the "Made in China" stamp on the steel........Oh well :rolleyes:

What blade did you get?

BTW, did I ever give you the info for the blade sharpening service I found?

They do a good job and are reasonable, the sharpening price includes the shipping back to you.

I have a coulpe more lathe tools coming, as well as a 24" straight edge (about time I got one :rolleyes: )

Cheers!

PS........ what.......... no pictures :eek:

Yeah, I got the contact info you sent for blade sharpening. That reminds me, you asked for the number of the mill I bought from last time in ShinKiba. I will look it up and send it to you.

Blade is Freud 50T combination.

Straight edge is very handy to have. I have the 24" from Lee Valley.

Will try and post post-gloat pics.

Stu

Looks great, now you've got to get Tshirts made.

By the way, I took a peek at the shelf link and your comment that you wished you had a bigger SCMS.

I had a similar problem and remembered that I could pick up a bit more cutting capacity by RAISING the board I was trying to cut (by putting scrap wood under it on the SCMS bed -- the higher plane puts more of the saw in line with the board you are trying to cut. or maybe my geometery isn't quick right but you are making a longer chord by moving the board closer to the center of the saw -- thus more cutting capability.

Jay

Tod,

Dare I ask...but curiosity got the better of me. What's Martin and Komo?

alex, martin is considered by some,(myself included) to be the best woodworking equipment on the planet....see doug s. shop tour..
komo is a well respected brand of cnc router.....
two pieces, one from each manufacturer, could easily set you back 200k