Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lactose intolerant, try Goats Cheese

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Lactose intolerant, try Goats Cheese

I know this is not a cooking forum but I felt like passing this along. LOML is Lactoss intororant. So much so that normal pills don't work. She discoverered buy reading up on the subject for some people goats milk and products don't have the same effect. She has started using goats cheese instead of regular cheese she has no problems. Just thought I'd pass it along, now back to my pizza.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 10-05-2009 at 03:28 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

LOML was like that growing up, she was raised drinking goats milk, couldn't handle cows milk. She has since out grown it and gets along fine with cows milk now. but I still can't get her to eat onions or mushrooms.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Our neighboring county boasts the worlds largest goat milk condensing plant. The country is very rugged, hilly and rocky, completely suited to raising goats and many folks have them.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Goats milk in my coffee

I don't think sorolleyes:
    Faith, Hope & Charity

When he was very little, my brother was intolerant to cow's milk... we lived in West Texas at the time and only place we could find goats milk for him was over the Red River in Altus, OK.... we would buy as much canned milk as we could afford at a time to save the drives... think by the time he was 5 or 6 he'd outgrown it. Unfortunately we lost him at 13.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    but I still can't get her to eat onions or mushrooms.
    A man was arrested for murder... the police were investigating the death and discovered that this was the man's third wife who had died under mysterious circumstances.
    Police: How did your first wife die?
    Suspect: She ate poisoned mushrooms.
    Police: How did your second wife die?
    Suspect: She ate poisoned mushrooms.
    Police: And why did you shoot your third wife?
    Suspect: She wouldn't eat her mushrooms.....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Our neighboring county boasts the worlds largest goat milk condensing plant. The country is very rugged, hilly and rocky, completely suited to raising goats and many folks have them.
    I'm not moving to Canada just so my wife can have a source for fresh goats milk...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I'm not moving to Canada just so my wife can have a source for fresh goats milk...
    (cough). Um, he said "county", Don, not "Country"...

...art (who sometimes wishes he lived on that rocky/hilly Canadian Shield, now that you mention it.)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I was the same way. When I was a baby I used to stop breathing and turn blue for no apparent reason. It took awhile to figure out but I was allergic to cows milk. That is not a good thing when you live on a dairy farm. I did have goats milk at the time, but do not remember what it tasted like.

I have actually looked at getting into sheep dairy farming. In the state of Maine there are 4 sheep dairy operations and the price is incredible. The cow dairy farm gets 13 bucks per hundred pounds of milk, while a sheep dairy farm gets 50 dollars a hundred weight. With a 50% fat content, sheep milk is supposed to make the best cheese, but because of very few sheep dairy farms, its almost unheard of so goats milk is the next best thing.

The funny part is, I have cream and sugar in my coffee and ran out of milk one morning. Well I get up at 3 Am so this was not good. I jumped in my car and drove 30 minutes to the closest store that was open 24/7. On the way back I'm thinking about it and realize I had a lactating sheep right out back in my sheep pen. I should have just ran out and milked the ewe and tried sheeps milk. At 50% cream it would have indeed been half and half, just not pasteurized or homogenized. Not sure if I would drink anything that was not the latter two!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    I
    I should have just ran out and milked the ewe and tried sheeps milk. At 50% cream it would have indeed been half and half, just not pasteurized or homogenized. Not sure if I would drink anything that was not the latter two!
    I remember being a kid and going to the country side on holydays were we would lay on the ground and milk sheep directly into our mouths (when the sheperd was not around) That was one of the best milks I ever tasted, although most problably I wouldn't like it now.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...