Lactose intolerant, try Goats Cheese

Don Baer

Staff member
I know this is not a cooking forum but I felt like passing this along. LOML is Lactoss intororant. So much so that normal pills don't work. She discoverered buy reading up on the subject for some people goats milk and products don't have the same effect. She has started using goats cheese instead of regular cheese she has no problems. Just thought I'd pass it along, now back to my pizza. :D:thumb:

Last edited:
LOML was like that growing up, she was raised drinking goats milk, couldn't handle cows milk. She has since out grown it and gets along fine with cows milk now. but I still can't get her to eat onions or mushrooms.:dunno:

Our neighboring county boasts the worlds largest goat milk condensing plant. The country is very rugged, hilly and rocky, completely suited to raising goats and many folks have them.

When he was very little, my brother was intolerant to cow's milk... we lived in West Texas at the time and only place we could find goats milk for him was over the Red River in Altus, OK.... we would buy as much canned milk as we could afford at a time to save the drives... think by the time he was 5 or 6 he'd outgrown it. Unfortunately we lost him at 13.

but I still can't get her to eat onions or mushrooms.:dunno:

A man was arrested for murder... the police were investigating the death and discovered that this was the man's third wife who had died under mysterious circumstances.
Police: How did your first wife die?
Suspect: She ate poisoned mushrooms.
Police: How did your second wife die?
Suspect: She ate poisoned mushrooms.
Police: And why did you shoot your third wife?
Suspect: She wouldn't eat her mushrooms.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was the same way. When I was a baby I used to stop breathing and turn blue for no apparent reason. It took awhile to figure out but I was allergic to cows milk. That is not a good thing when you live on a dairy farm. I did have goats milk at the time, but do not remember what it tasted like.

I have actually looked at getting into sheep dairy farming. In the state of Maine there are 4 sheep dairy operations and the price is incredible. The cow dairy farm gets 13 bucks per hundred pounds of milk, while a sheep dairy farm gets 50 dollars a hundred weight. With a 50% fat content, sheep milk is supposed to make the best cheese, but because of very few sheep dairy farms, its almost unheard of so goats milk is the next best thing.

The funny part is, I have cream and sugar in my coffee and ran out of milk one morning. Well I get up at 3 Am so this was not good. I jumped in my car and drove 30 minutes to the closest store that was open 24/7. On the way back I'm thinking about it and realize I had a lactating sheep right out back in my sheep pen. I should have just ran out and milked the ewe and tried sheeps milk. At 50% cream it would have indeed been half and half, just not pasteurized or homogenized. Not sure if I would drink anything that was not the latter two!

I
I should have just ran out and milked the ewe and tried sheeps milk. At 50% cream it would have indeed been half and half, just not pasteurized or homogenized. Not sure if I would drink anything that was not the latter two!

I remember being a kid and going to the country side on holydays were we would lay on the ground and milk sheep directly into our mouths (when the sheperd was not around) That was one of the best milks I ever tasted, although most problably I wouldn't like it now.:dunno:

I have actually looked at getting into sheep dairy farming. In the state of Maine there are 4 sheep dairy operations and the price is incredible. The cow dairy farm gets 13 bucks per hundred pounds of milk, while a sheep dairy farm gets 50 dollars a hundred weight. With a 50% fat content, sheep milk is supposed to make the best cheese, but because of very few sheep dairy farms, its almost unheard of so goats milk is the next best thing.
At 50% cream it would have indeed been half and half, just not pasteurized or homogenized. Not sure if I would drink anything that was not the latter two!

I grew up on Cows milk almost straight from the cow... I think I was 9 or 10 before there was electricity in my part of the country (south east Texas circa late 1940's... early 1950's).. all we had was an ice cooler... we bought 50-100 lbs of ice one or two times a week from the iceman who made deliveries.... I can't now but suspect I drank a lot of room temperature milk in those days.

as for the sheep milk cheese... we go to a middle eastern store in K'ville when we're up that way... my wife likes to experiment with her cooking, so I get some pretty exotic meals... they sell sheep's milk cheese.. can't say we've bought any yet, but have bought some goat cheese and feta cheese from them.. great stuff. They also sell a Greek yogurt that the wife really likes.... when she makes Kemah (a Pakistani dish) you HAVE to have some yogurt to save your tonsils and the clavicle in the back of your throat.... doesn't help much at the exit end, but boy does it help going down...
I do like the Feta cheese in my salads.

My wife bought some goat cheese spread for me as a treat. Awful. I couldn't eat it and I'm an omnivore that usually will eat anything. That's not a general indictment for goat cheese but this was not a good experience.