Thread: old plane iron?

old plane iron?

i was given a plane iron that is tapered, thick at the cuttin edge and thin at the top of it.. it has a bee hive symbol on it and i think its mentiones hampton co. NY ..any idea what it came out of and the age of it..any uses for it today?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

wood bodied plane
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    wood bodied plane

Yeah! Usually those tapered irons tend to be quite good as they are the result of laminating hard steel on milder one so you get the properties of both as they did in ancient times.

Did it came with chipbreaker? It is not necessary but it helps.
    You could make a wood bodied plane as Tod suggest but bedded at a higher angle than the ones you normally use and use it for figured or rippled grain woods.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Yeah! Usually those tapered irons tend to be quite good as they are the result of laminating hard steel on milder one so you get the properties of both as they did in ancient times.

Did it came with chipbreaker? It is not necessary but it helps.
    You could make a wood bodied plane as Tod suggest but bedded at a higher angle than the ones you normally use and use it for figured or rippled grain woods.
    no chip breaker just the iron, so sounds like to me you just volunterd to make a wooden plane to fit this critter toni

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    no chip breaker just the iron, so sounds like to me you just volunterd to make a wooden plane to fit this critter toni
    I wouldn't mind at all, send it over, tell me the angle you want on it and wether you want a jack, a smoother or a jointer and I'll bring it back to you next april. although it may be a little used by then
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

You could make a simple scraper plane too with it.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I wouldn't mind at all, send it over, tell me the angle you want on it and wether you want a jack, a smoother or a jointer and I'll bring it back to you next april. although it may be a little used by then
    well toni, i might take yu up on that and as for which one,,lets see what yu think would get the most use??? and travis what are yu refering to as a scraper plane like a stanley 112?

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well toni, i might take yu up on that and as for which one,,lets see what yu think would get the most use??? and travis what are yu refering to as a scraper plane like a stanley 112?
    What is the blade width? Has it the typical bolt slot?

As per your question here you have a stanley 112.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pl852.view01.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

will get back to yu toni on blade width, its at least 2" and i think will be wider.. and yes it has the slot