old plane iron?

larry merlau

i was given a plane iron that is tapered, thick at the cuttin edge and thin at the top of it.. it has a bee hive symbol on it and i think its mentiones hampton co. NY ..any idea what it came out of and the age of it..any uses for it today?

wood bodied plane

Yeah! Usually those tapered irons tend to be quite good as they are the result of laminating hard steel on milder one so you get the properties of both as they did in ancient times.

Did it came with chipbreaker? It is not necessary but it helps.
You could make a wood bodied plane as Tod suggest but bedded at a higher angle than the ones you normally use and use it for figured or rippled grain woods.:dunno:

Yeah! Usually those tapered irons tend to be quite good as they are the result of laminating hard steel on milder one so you get the properties of both as they did in ancient times.

Did it came with chipbreaker? It is not necessary but it helps.
You could make a wood bodied plane as Tod suggest but bedded at a higher angle than the ones you normally use and use it for figured or rippled grain woods.:dunno:

no chip breaker just the iron, so sounds like to me you just volunterd to make a wooden plane to fit this critter toni:):thumb:

no chip breaker just the iron, so sounds like to me you just volunterd to make a wooden plane to fit this critter toni:):thumb:

I wouldn't mind at all, send it over, tell me the angle you want on it and wether you want a jack, a smoother or a jointer and I'll bring it back to you next april.;) although it may be a little used by then :rofl:

I wouldn't mind at all, send it over, tell me the angle you want on it and wether you want a jack, a smoother or a jointer and I'll bring it back to you next april.;) although it may be a little used by then :rofl:

well toni, i might take yu up on that:) and as for which one,,lets see what yu think would get the most use??? and travis what are yu refering to as a scraper plane like a stanley 112?

well toni, i might take yu up on that:) and as for which one,,lets see what yu think would get the most use??? and travis what are yu refering to as a scraper plane like a stanley 112?

What is the blade width? Has it the typical bolt slot?

As per your question here you have a stanley 112.

Attachments

• pl852.view01.jpg
    pl852.view01.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 5