Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speeking geek

speeking geek

A sorta nephew-in-law relative posted below on Facebook. He is a high level PhD math and science weenie. I'm sure it makes sense but is largely unintelligible to me.
    " finds it humorous that the Skype add-on to his browser mistakenly identified a sequence of numbers in the snow probability line from this morning's GFS MOS bulletin for Ardmore as a phone number from Senegal. Humorous for multiple reasons!"

Huh????
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

So, he needs to get out more???
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

A similar statement from a diesel mechanic based on specifics of his area of expertise could seem just as vague to your sorta nephew-in-law. Roof-pitch and load bearing relationships escape me but I know folks who speak it like a second language.

I work with networking protocols all day. When talking to my coworkers, it sounds pretty weird to the layman but, the Gobal Forcasting Sytem is of little interest to me. We each have our areas of interest or career. Some are just so specialized they seem (and attract folks who are) pretty "out there".
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A similar statement from a diesel mechanic based on specifics of his area of expertise could seem just as vague to your sorta nephew-in-law. Roof-pitch and load bearing relationships escape me but I know folks who speak it like a second language.

I work with networking protocols all day. When talking to my coworkers, it sounds pretty weird to the layman but, the Gobal Forcasting Sytem is of little interest to me. We each have our areas of interest or career. Some are just so specialized they seem (and attract folks who are) pretty "out there".
    Hokay, now GFS makes sense. He is a meterologist.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Not being the least bit geek literate, I thought SKype was a phone system in the computer.. no idea of how it works or now idea of what it really is... my son is a computer geek and when he gets to going on computer languages.. protocols, etc... he losses me about the middle of his first sentence.... my other son (the wife's boy) is a photographer - he actually a truck driver by profession and a photographer by advocation, but have the same problem when he goes into a diatribe about a particular picture or method of taking a picture etc....
    But as I understand the Skype, it stands to reason that a series of numbers might be taken as a phone number.... as depending on the number sequence, could be anywhere in the world. In my past life, I worked as an international shipping manager, so I somewhat acquainted with international phone numbers.
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 10-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

My guess?...inside joke. We'll never get it, even if he explains it to us!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

What's funny is most of the "geek" types think you actually know what they're talking about....they are totally oblivious to your "deer in the headlights" look.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

For some reason, it read like something John Cleese would say in a Monty Python skit.

Now, "My brain hurts."

Wes

BTW, 'MOS' is Model Output Statistics. I still have no real clues what it all tells us, but now I get the joke. Sort of.

It's not for Ardmore, but here's a GFS MOS for Fairbanks Alaska:

http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/wyow...=&station=PAFA

I can see how some phone software (like Skype) scanning a computer could find phone numbers in a report like that.

But you're right Frank...only his weather buddies would likely have a clue what he's joking about. I'll bet he's a hoot at a party.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    BTW, 'MOS' is Model Output Statistics. I still have no real clues what it all tells us, but now I get the joke. Sort of.

It's not for Ardmore, but here's a GFS MOS for Fairbanks Alaska:

http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/wyow...=&station=PAFA

I can see how some phone software (like Skype) scanning a computer could find phone numbers in a report like that.

But you're right Frank...only his weather buddies would likely have a clue what he's joking about. I'll bet he's a hoot at a party.
    Me doing..."deer in headlights look"
    Faith, Hope & Charity