speeking geek

Frank Fusco

A sorta nephew-in-law relative posted below on Facebook. He is a high level PhD math and science weenie. I'm sure it makes sense but is largely unintelligible to me.
" finds it humorous that the Skype add-on to his browser mistakenly identified a sequence of numbers in the snow probability line from this morning's GFS MOS bulletin for Ardmore as a phone number from Senegal. Humorous for multiple reasons!"

Huh????:huh:

A similar statement from a diesel mechanic based on specifics of his area of expertise could seem just as vague to your sorta nephew-in-law. Roof-pitch and load bearing relationships escape me but I know folks who speak it like a second language.

I work with networking protocols all day. When talking to my coworkers, it sounds pretty weird to the layman but, the Gobal Forcasting Sytem is of little interest to me. We each have our areas of interest or career. Some are just so specialized they seem (and attract folks who are) pretty "out there". :rofl:

A similar statement from a diesel mechanic based on specifics of his area of expertise could seem just as vague to your sorta nephew-in-law. Roof-pitch and load bearing relationships escape me but I know folks who speak it like a second language.

I work with networking protocols all day. When talking to my coworkers, it sounds pretty weird to the layman but, the Gobal Forcasting Sytem is of little interest to me. We each have our areas of interest or career. Some are just so specialized they seem (and attract folks who are) pretty "out there". :rofl:

Hokay, now GFS makes sense. He is a meterologist.

Not being the least bit geek literate, I thought SKype was a phone system in the computer.. no idea of how it works or now idea of what it really is... my son is a computer geek and when he gets to going on computer languages.. protocols, etc... he losses me about the middle of his first sentence.... my other son (the wife's boy) is a photographer - he actually a truck driver by profession and a photographer by advocation, but have the same problem when he goes into a diatribe about a particular picture or method of taking a picture etc....
But as I understand the Skype, it stands to reason that a series of numbers might be taken as a phone number.... as depending on the number sequence, could be anywhere in the world. In my past life, I worked as an international shipping manager, so I somewhat acquainted with international phone numbers.

Last edited:
For some reason, it read like something John Cleese would say in a Monty Python skit.

Now, "My brain hurts."

Wes

BTW, 'MOS' is Model Output Statistics. I still have no real clues what it all tells us, but now I get the joke. Sort of.

It's not for Ardmore, but here's a GFS MOS for Fairbanks Alaska:

http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/wyowx.fcgi?type=gfstext&msg1=&msg2=&station=PAFA

I can see how some phone software (like Skype) scanning a computer could find phone numbers in a report like that.

But you're right Frank...only his weather buddies would likely have a clue what he's joking about. I'll bet he's a hoot at a party. :p

BTW, 'MOS' is Model Output Statistics. I still have no real clues what it all tells us, but now I get the joke. Sort of.

It's not for Ardmore, but here's a GFS MOS for Fairbanks Alaska:

http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/wyowx.fcgi?type=gfstext&msg1=&msg2=&station=PAFA

I can see how some phone software (like Skype) scanning a computer could find phone numbers in a report like that.

But you're right Frank...only his weather buddies would likely have a clue what he's joking about. I'll bet he's a hoot at a party. :p

Me doing..."deer in headlights look" :rofl::rofl:

My Dad is a retired Solid State Physicist from Bell Labs.

It took an article he clipped from the New York Times on the subject and sent to his kids to "give us a meaningful description of what I did for a living".

I know geek speak . . .

Jim

Thanks Frank for posting this so that I know there is no feasible way for me to keep up with the second computer language I am trying to learn. With a 16 year old daughter in the house, knowing what the heck she is typing is something I got to learn, 9 and 99 are clues (Parent in the room) and (Parent left the room) since she is always AATK (Always at the keyboard). Sometimes with her boyfriend talk, I have to interject and type in IWBAPTAKYDIYSTA! (I will buy a plane ticket and kick your derriere if you say that again!)

:rofl: