makita sharpen system

ken lutes

Does any one have any experience and comments good or bad on the Makita slow speed sharpen system? I am thinking of buying one to sharpen my jointer and planner blades on. Any thoughts??

you`ll need to design and build carriers to support your knifes...this machine isn`t designed from the factory to handle 16+" knifes.
it isn`t dificult to convert an old tool-post grinder to use on your jointer....that way you could grind the knifes in the head in direct relation to the outfeed table.

I've got one. It will handle 16" blades. I've not done blades that long, but the instructions indicate that it will hold blades that long.
As to using it, i'm really glad i have it. I've got both the stock wheel and a course green wheel for it. I was genuinely surprised and a bit ticked the last time i had my blades sharpened. They came back with a lot of material removed and had what i'd consider to be a rough surface on the beveled edge.
Now i only take off what i need to, and the stock wheel really gives a smooth flat finish on the steel. It's easy to use and works well.
I've never used a Tormek type of wet grinder, but the Makita suites my needs and cost much less.
Paul Hubbman

I have one and I would agree with Paul. I also have not sharpen 12-16" knives. but I see no problem in doing so. The holder will support them. I have only sharpened 6" joiner knives, hand plane blades and chisels and it does and excellent job on all.

I do 12" blades all the time. As well as my chisels and plan irons. I have all three stones for mine. Simply love it, I don't use the finest one on planner blades, but you can shave your arm hair no problem after using it on the irons and chisels.

PS if you watch EBay you can find some good deals on a used one. That where I got mine.