Gas BBQ Grill Questions

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
My 10 year old Brinkman gas grill is on its last legs, and I'm looking to replace it before too long. It's been an OK cooker, but the temps have always been uneven and I've had a lot of flare-up problems, despite trying three different types of ceramic briquettes over the years. It's gotten especially worse lately, since the burners are pretty much rusted out. I do a lot of grilling, usually at least once a week, so I'm looking for something a bit more substantial than the $200 jobs from the Borg. On the other hand, I'm looking for a good value, and do have some limits to how much I want to spend.

I'm primarily looking at two different cookers: the three-burner Weber Genesis E310, and the 4-burner Char-Broil RED.

The Weber has a great reputation and some of the best customer loyalty I've seen. It's the Stihl chainsaw of the BBQ grill world. I've never cooked on one, but everyone I know who has one loves it. In my price range, the E310 is about all I could swing. It's a no-frills unit that I could expect to last a long time. It's also made in the US, which is a good thing. Replacement parts are readily available, and their 24/7/365 live Customer Service has a great reputation. The main disadvantages I see to it are the relatively small grilling surface and the fact that the burners run lengthwise across the cooking chamber. I often only use one burner at one end and put the meat at the other end to cook with indirect heat, and this type of configuration wouldn't do that well. It also has no side burner, which I do use from time to time.

Right now, the orange Borg has the 4-burner RED (who comes up with these names?) on sale for about the same price as the Weber. (Marked down from about $800 to $670.) It appears to be well made (I've checked it out in person), but it uses lighter gauge steel than the Weber. Char-Broil has a mixed reputation for service and parts. The primary difference with this grill is the U-shaped infrared heat diffuser. It's a whole new approach, and the reviews on the cooking performance have been very, very good. It cooks hotter and faster, but uses less fuel. It's supposedly flare-up free. It's also set up better for indirect cooking, since the burners run crosswise instead of lengthwise. And it has a side burner. Bonus. At this point, I'm leaning toward the Char-Broil. I don't expect it will last as long as a Weber, but I think it will last as long as my current one, since I take decent care of my grills. (Heck, I still have my old K-Mart 2-burner, and it's about 16 years old.) I also like the features and functionality.

So, my questions...

Do any of you guys have one of the Char-Broil RED grills? If so, what do you think about it?

You Weber owners...how do you do indirect cooking on your grill? (I'm assuming you love it as much as I love my Stihl chainsaw.)

Any other grill suggestions in the $600 to $700 price range?

Seems to me I saw a rating in one of my Consumer Reports Magazines. I'll go through the pile today and let you know what they say.
I did have a weber and it cooked well. I won it in a contest. It cooked more even than others I've had but flare ups were no better/worse than others.

Hi Vaughn,

I have a Weber S320, which is basically the stainless version of the E310, functionally it's the same thing. It works very, very well. It cooks very evenly, works great for direct and indirect heat (switch of the middle burner for indirect heat), and flaire-ups are rare as long as you keep the lid closed, rare enough that they are a non-issue with this grill. We use the BBQ very often, even now the weather is not so great (it's right next to the kitchen door). The only thing I have somewhat of a problem with is that the drip-pan is relatively close to the burners, and with enough junk on there it will catch fire while heating up the BBQ to high temps before use (i.e. I heat up the BBQ to 600 - 700F before use, takes under 10 minutes, then clean the grates with a brush). It's not a big deal, other than the mess, clean it twice a grilling season and you'll likely never see it happen. Consumer reports gave this grill their top spot. As you can tell, I'm a fan.

If you go for the Weber don't bother buying their grill cover. I ended up taking that back. It has two holes just over the sides, allowing water in there, sitting on those "wings". Just buy any generic cover (our BBQ stays outside all your round, hence the cover).

-RoB-

I can't speak for either of the grills you mentioned, but I'm pleased with the CharBroil grill I have. It's a stainless steel 4-burner plus side burner. The burners run front-to-back so it's easy to use for indirect grilling as well as getting it plenty hot all over. I think it lists for around $400 and I see it on the street at around $300.

I have a three burner Weber Genesis with a side burner (not the stainless version) and use it on average 3 or 4 times a week for the last six years (don’tcha just love California weather?). This one replaced a smaller Weber gasser that is about 14 years old and still being used by one of my daughters.

A buddy in Reno has a 4 burner Char-Broil and you are right, a little less sturdy. The only advantage that I can see, of the two you listed, is the extra burner.

As you know, the Weber’s burners are laid out width-wise to the unit. To cook indirect (beer can chicken, ribs, etc), after the initial warm up, I leave the front burner at full blast \and shut the middle and back burners off and place the meat over the middle and back burners. You can cook ribs low an slow at about 225º for 4-5 hours. I cook three racks of ribs with a rib rack, or four beer can chickens. If you need to cook more meat than that, then, you really should get the 22” Weber Bullet http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ . I hook it up to my computer, control everything from the comfort of my recliner and can smoke 4 pork shoulders for 17 hours. I’ve also done 8 racks of ribs, laid flat and could probably do 10-12 beer can chickens at once (or any combination of those). MMMmmmmm

On my buddy’s four burner, the burners run front to back so for indirect, he leaves the left burner on and cooks over the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. There is a little more room. He has to rotate the meat on long cooks (PITA) because the far right area doesn’t hold the heat as does the center areas.

I am biased because I have been cooking over Webers (charcoal and gas) for quite a few decades.

Last edited:
Shheeeesh, A GAS GRILL? I thought you were a woodworker Vaughn.

I used to have a gas grill and then I started buying woodworking machinery. :D After all, what does one do with those failed bowl turnings? FIRE UP THE GRILL!!

I have an old webber "flying saucer" type charcoal grill and am still planning on building a big one this year. The new grill will have a fire box on the end with a damper to control heat input into the grilling chamber. No direct flame and no flare ups. Planning on 8 square feet of grilling area. (I just happen to have ss racks 2 ft. square.)

Can't really offer an opinion on the gas grills but I think you are on the right track in looking at metal thicknesses and so forth. I wonder how the burners compare in their construction? Also look at the actual grill racks. the heavier ones will transfer heat to the food better. (assuming they are steel or iron the more surface area the more heat transfer. I like 1/2" bars)

In the end I hope you can brag about your choice. I hate it when I don't want to tell anyone what I did cause I get steamed just thinking about it.

Vaughn,
I was thinking I have a Char-Broil, but not a Char-Broil Red... mine actually says BBQ Grill Ware on the front... it's a 3 burneer Borg model with a side burner for beans from Lowes and is about 7 or 8 yers old... We use it about twice a week at my house and I'm beginning to have some issues with the burners rusting... it's under cover on a screened back porch so not in the weather too much... I'm thinking it's about 1/2 the price you're planning.
Other than needing to adjust a couple of burners especially the side burner.. but rarely every use it, and replace those that rusted out it's been a good grill for us.
Can't give you any constructive information on your options though..
Good Luck.

Shheeeesh, A GAS GRILL? I thought you were a woodworker Vaughn.

I used to have a gas grill and then I started buying woodworking machinery. :D After all, what does one do with those failed bowl turnings? FIRE UP THE GRILL!! ...
Yeah, well.....

For years, I used leftover cherry and maple in my smoker. Cherry is especially good for smoking meats and fish. Then, I tried turning a few pens! Now, it seems there truly is no such thing as a piece of wood that's too small! :huh:

I only use a standard old Webber kettle with charcol. I inherited a gas grill, used once. Food just wasn't the same. Tossed it.
However, I noticed in the local Walmart that their gas jobbies are on clearance right now. You might want to check them out.

Ok I will chime in and bite on this one. I would suggest that for around 60 - 80 bucks you buy new burners and fit them into the old unit. Refurb and recycle and put the savings into your tool fund or your woodturning business marketing plan.:D

Vaughn,

I've got a Weber Q series grill (Q100). We went with a smaller unit since we only cook for three - and nothing fancy. I picked it up for $80 on sale. It has performed flawlessly and has a really great quality feel to it especially considering the price. If somehow I had to get another grill, Weber would be the first choice hands down.
I suspect the Genesis series has earned the loyalty it has for the same reasons. Oh, and the Q300 has two burners so indirect grilling is possible (one burner down the center, the other in a ring around the perimeter). Though I'm not sure that would work for what you have in mind.

Just a few random thoughts. Hope you can find what you're looking for!

Wes

Thanks for the input guys.

Paul, this one needs to be gas. :) I already have a horizontal offset cooker I can burn wood in. Even so, I made it a hybrid by installing a gas turkey fryer burner so I can control the heat better for those long, slow cooks. BTW Paul, if you're looking at building one, you might want to poke around this BBQ forum...lots of good info and ideas from other guys building their own:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

Rob, I considered rehabbing my Brinkmann, but replacement burners and diffusers were going to cost me $150 to $200, and in the end I'd still have a grill that doesn't heat evenly and flares up way too much. Also the bottom of the firebox is just about rusted through. The final straw was the lid hinge breaking a couple nights ago. It's cast aluminum. I don't see a reasonable way to fix it. (I may bolt a couple gate hinges on the lid just to limp it along until I get something to replace it.)

And thanks to you guys for explaining how you do indirect cooking on your Webers. I gotta say the E310 is still definitely in the running. A good sale price would probably sway me even more.

Dang Vaughn, I thought I had a good excuse to fire off a poke at ya. Looks like you have the bases covered. :D

I am supposed to build a pig roaster soon also, and was thinking about sticking some gas burners in it to crank up the heat fast. Our old pig roaster is getting rusted out and the rotissorie design is finicky. The new design will use an offset wood burner and the rotator mechanism is going to be an expanded metal cage. I had some pork belly chickens fall out one time and figured out the design from that experience. We have a new old oil tank for the basic chamber but that is were the resemblance ends other than the trailer package.

After the great time we had with Rennie's visit to da mitten I have been percolating the idea of maybe doing a pig- roast-mid-western-family-woodworking-barley-pop-kind of get together. ..........who knows........

I used to have a Genie Genisis when I lived in the land of fruits and nuts. The thing was great but since I bar B que 3-4 days a week year round I wore it out in 4 years. When I moved here I bought a stainless steal thing at the local store, made in China, six burners, side burner for about $300. It works great. Now if you want the ultimate grill (IMHO) look at the "turbo". Made in australia, all cast Iron including the burners, now there's a grill. Bar-B-Ques galore sells em. I think they run 4-500 dollars.

Don, the Turbo grills at Barbeques Galore are now made in China, and although they look to be pretty good units, I've read of some people having issues getting replacement parts. I was looking at one yesterday in Glendale that looked sweet (cast stainless steel burners), but it wasn't as beefy as they were a few years ago. (Barbeques Galore went bankrupt a few years ago, and the company the bought them out has lowered the quality of their products to compete price-wise with the big box stores.)

Paul, here's the story about my offset cooker, told on a BBQ forum:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28077

Although the purists might think it's heresy, it has worked out very well for me.

I had to leave one of my grills in Texas when I moved up here... I packed that truck every way from Sunday and could not fit everything on that I needed... it was one of the Brinkman smokers with the fire box on the side... I could smoke a mean brisket on that thing.... I would start a fire about 9 pm let it burn down to coals, then add a couple of chucks of wood to smolder through the night... put the meat on about 10 pm ... get up abot 2 am and check it, then back to bed until daylight.... smoked the brisket the rest of the morning and by noon to 2 pm you could pull a piece off and it would melt in your mouth.
We use the gas grill more, but I sure do miss my Brinkman.

Vaughn, I've always wondered at what seems to be a lack of fundamental understanding of physics when it comes to something simple like a BBQ grill. Why put the vent in the top? Heat rises and you want an even heat so lets put the vent on top so that heat rises and goes straight out?? :rofl::rofl::rolleyes: I see you realized this issue by adding the extension to the bottom of the stack in your grill so that heat has to build DOWN to the grill surface before it can exit the cook chamber.

I have planned to have the exit flue for our new grill at minimum a few inches below the grilling surface. I can weld so I may even build a manifold so that the heat has to leave in a diffused fashion. (Maybe i should make it look like engine headers?)

Another issue is to understand that creosote is made by a low temp fire. (unburnt wood tars that you want on food? NOT) Therefore I like where you put the turkey burner. I will think on that one. I may try to figure out a 2 chamber offset firebox, one for wood, one for gas.

We're still in the planning stages so there might be several changes before it gets built. On the pig roaster I plan on having the fire box removable so i can hook it up to the smoker we built last year. The seemed to work pretty well although the venting needs to be changed to even the heat out.