"Facilities" in the shop?

Rick Prosser

I am building a shop - a big shop, and plan to have a sink, toilet and shower installed.

Any suggestions on the best placement of the room? I am thinking a back corner to be out of the way, but maybe back center, or beside the back door?:dunno:

Floor will be concrete, so once it's poured, the room is set.

Would you move yours if you had to do it over?

make sure you have running water near your chemicals and also near your coffee pot.
welcome to f.w.w.!

Hmm, note to self not go out back door of Jonathan's shop.

Probably no preference for location. I guess I'd take into consideration of keeping a shop sink and such in the same general location to have less plumbing to run.

Welcome to the family! :wave:

Will the shop be close to other outdoor activities, like a deck/patio, swing set/playground stuff, etc...if so put it close to the door so you don't have to walk all the way through the shop to use the facilities.

Also, Welcome to the Family Rick. :wave:

welcome to our family here, and as for the location,, it would be good to have it near your finish room possibly for clean up if yu use water base products.. but yu want it accessable to you and your visitors, without interfering with your work.

I'm sorry Rick, welcome to the family!!!!:wave::wave::wave: I don't have running water in my shop, but like Darren and Tod alluded to, would try to have shop sink and water for coffee pot on one side of the wall, facilities on other side, then less cost for plumbing. So no specific place in the shop, just figure to cut costs and situate them somewhat together!!

Oh, Darren, don't have a back door on my shop!!!:dunno::rofl::rofl:

This was discussed at one time in an old thread. A search might find you somemore answers.
I was going to put a urinal in my shop until my wife objected with numerous "yuk" comments. No logic, but no arguing either.
BTW, welcome to the family.
Tell us more about yourself. I like the picture, are you a reenactor?

Welcome to the family Rick.

I have a toilet, a sink and a shower in my shop, not because I wanted but because the former owner had it set up as a bar/lounge room next to a pool he was going to build.

He never did and now the lounge is my shop, I demolished the mansonry bar he made and never finished, to have more space, but I kept the toilet and the rest.

If I had to do it from scratch I don't think I'll put a shower though.:dunno:

I'd just make a little room for the toilet & put the deep sink on the shop side of the wall. Showers are nice but take up room that would be nice to have in the shop. Put all the plumbing on the inside wall not on the exterior wall & insulate well.

I'd just make a little room for the toilet & put the deep sink on the shop side of the wall. Showers are nice but take up room that would be nice to have in the shop. Put all the plumbing on the inside wall not on the exterior wall & insulate well.

I think I agree with Bart... haven't really come up with a reasonable scenario
where a shower would get enough regular usage... I don't have any water facilities in my shop and would love a deep sink. Other necessities are like at Don's.... I live in the country and my shop sittings in the edge of the woods.... any tree handy sort of thing.

Gotta go with the group on the shower. For the amount of use it might get I think I'd rather have the room in the shop. One thing I would consider is an eye wash station. The special faucet could probably be incorporated into the deep sink area in the shop so it is easy to get to in an emergency.

I think I agree with Bart... haven't really come up with a reasonable scenario
where a shower would get enough regular usage... I don't have any water facilities in my shop and would love a deep sink. Other necessities are like at Don's.... I live in the country and my shop sittings in the edge of the woods.... any tree handy sort of thing.

I think I would also heat the shop with propane & have a heat as you it water heater because of being out in the country & no natural gas availability. I would probably have a wood stove too. Just because I grew up in a shop with a wood stove & like wood stoves.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and welcomes. Great comments and suggestions.

I little more info.

The shop is 40x70, so there is plenty of room for a shower. The wife does not like the idea of tracking debris into the house, and I tend to work late into the night, so being able to shower before bed without waking her is a plus (maybe a requirement ;) ). We are on 50 acres surrounded by woods with no kids at home. No pool, playground, or decks around. Don't get many visitors either.

Never had a dedicated shop before, so I am wanting to build it right the first time - realizing that changes are inevitable...

The sink would be outside the bathroom, and I like the eye wash station idea. Putting it in the corner seems the most out of the way. I may have to move the finish room closer to the sink for convenience.

Frank - no, not a reenactor - just a piper with some Celtic heritage.

I grew up in SC, got my Electrical Engineering degree from USC, married for 30 yrs, 2 kids (grown). Moved to Atlanta for 8 years, and am grateful to be back in SC now. I have enjoyed working with wood for many years, but never had a shop. Mainly have worked with a few hand tools and a circular saw on basic projects. Recently purchased a lathe and started turning wood. Decided to buy some land, build the shop first, then the house - so we are renting a double wide during the construction activities. Now I have a lifetime of projects to do with the land clearing/maintenance, shop and home building, and perhaps some farming as well. Still working my full time job as a project manager hoping retirement is still a possibility at some point.:dunno:

Oh - and the wife likes wood working and working the land. We bought a Kubota 3240 tractor for her 50th birthday. She sometimes let's me drive it :thumb:

RobinTractor.jpg