Old Drill Press........is Home.......... Now the rebuild!!!

Stuart Ablett

Found this on Auction here........

drillpress1.jpg

drillpress2.jpg

drillpress3.jpg

I've got the top bid in at about $40 right now, I'll go to about $150.

It is close enough to go get it, so I save a lot in shipping.

I need a better drill press, the guy says he does not know much about it, but it all works fine.

Two hours left...........wish me luck! :D

Last edited:
I wish you success!

What I can see:
- missing the crank for raising/lowering the table
- missing the knobs on the ends of the three arms you use to plunge the drill
- no sign of a power switch either? Where are they hiding that?
- missing a top cover, but the belts seem mostly protected.
- table + post look beefy.

The real test is runout, isn't it? And you can't see that from a photo.
Still, pretty cheap!

best,
...art

Don't need no stinking knobs (I'll turn some!)

Don't need no stinking crank (I'll weld one up)

I won't stick my fingers into the belts, so the cover there should be enough!

The table looks like it got drilled to bits and they then added a 1/2" plate to it, if this works, great!

Still no one has counter bid, so only 35 minutes left! :D

Don't need no stinking knobs (I'll turn some!)

Don't need no stinking crank (I'll weld one up)

I won't stick my fingers into the belts, so the cover there should be enough!

You beat me to it....I was thinking the same thing when I read Art's post....Stu can and will make it himself.

28 minutes to go!

No counter bids yet!

Yeah, paint, for sure!

I'll most likely take it apart and see if it needs anything, and then strip and paint it.

Fingers and toes crossed! :D

Some observations

He does not list the power on the auction and says he cannot answer questions, so it could be 100V 200V or 200V 3-phase......... I have all three, but lots of guys only have the 100V.

He also wants it to be picked up, and within a week of wining the auction.......

not to mention the color :eek:

All these things lead me to hope it will stay cheap..........12 minutes to go...

Boy are some people stupid.........:rolleyes:

Here, to prevent "Sniping" they have the auctions set up, so that any bid in the last 5 minutes of the auction, resets the clock to 10 minutes left, so with something like 30 seconds some nut bids against me, now the auction is reset to 10 minutes....:dunno:

We shall see how bad I want it and the other guy wants it, it is now about about $90, still cheap, but I'll not go much over $150, not worth it because of potential unknown problems.......

Sorry.........

Last edited:
Three more times the same guy has done this............:rolleyes:

The last time, the clock showed the auction had run out, but when I refresed the page, it showed he had bid me up one more time with 3 second left......

I mean, it has an auto reset to 10 minutes......???

OK, I got it, I paid 15,000 yen or about $125 US.

Might be a lot compared to your market, but here, ones that are just as old, but maybe a bit more cosmetically nice, go for $400 or more.....

Well there you go, one more thing off my list, now I just need a small bandsaw!

Cheers!

congratulations stu! be sure to post a rebuild thread;) .....and you have a small bandsaw.....it`s just got a big honkin` blade on it......tod

Obviously I live in a hole... I thought that one main point of internet auctions was that you could just set your maximum bid and then go away and wait for the clock to run out. Sure, people come in at the last minute and snipe, but if it goes over your maximum bid then what does it matter? That's why you call it a maximum bid. What's all this business of resetting the clock?

Congratulations, Stu! I knew those problems were minor ones, I was just trying to see what I could see from the photos. I'm glad you're painting it. Anything other than delta grey or general green would be refreshing. Maybe take Steve up on his offer of the Plum colour... :D