Air Locker Mini Grinder - Detail Tool Question

Dan Mosley

Does anybody around on here possibly use an Air Locker Mini Grinder ?
I bought one at a garage sale that was new in its carrying box but does not have any documentation with it. Mine is a model HA4202 with variable speed control in the handle. I used it the first time yesterday and it is a very powerful carving tool or good for enhancing cracks in bowl turning, making inclusions etc.
I am not sure what type of bits it can take - Some of my Foredom bits will not work as the shaft is to small. If someone has one can you let me know what the shaft size is that the tool take? and where you are buying your cutting tips from ? ..............Thanks Dan

don`t know about air locker brand dan but if you`re looking for bits try aluminum cutting burrs before you spend on foredom stuff.
any good supply house should have an assortment in both 1/8 and 1/4 shank.

Dan, this what I have (actually a little older version without the colored body). Expensive, but worth every penny. Never had a problem with it in nearly 30 years of use. (not every day though)

1/4" collet for 1/4' shank bits, but can be used with 1/8" shank bits with a reducer sleeve.

http://www.bluetools.com/Air-Tools-...-20,000-RPM,-RE,-12L1281-36/product_info.html

As for cutter bits, (burrs) I use mostly solid carbide, in either full or serrated flutes. Gives the best finishes and speed of cutting just about anything.

Aloha, Tony

I have a picture of the air grinder below and a photo of a page of literature I found in the box. Maybe this will help some with figuring out the size burs i can buy for it and where is the best place to buy burs.........thanks Dan

Attachments

• Power Grinder.jpg
    Power Grinder.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 18
  • booklet.jpg
    booklet.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 14
I'm a bit confused. Yours looks to be an electric mini-grinder, not unlike a Dremel and many others. If that's the case, you have a choice of many different carving bit. Look to catalogs for woodcarvers supplies for what you need. From the appearance, it looks like you have a 1/8" chuck on it. Some have interchangeable with 1/4" chucks.

Yep its electric and im posting some of the bits that came with it - im sure i can collets that may fit it and more bits - manual says it uses 1/16. I have alot of bits with it - some fit and some do not but i think its a matter of changing out the collet

Attachments

• Bits-1.jpg
    Bits-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Bits-2.jpg
    Bits-2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Bits=3.jpg
    Bits=3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 14
Dan, kind of hard to see those very well. Try placing them on a piece of white paper for a better photo. Get as close and as clear as you can. Use the "macro" (close-up) setting on your camera.

I could make out that you have 1 or 2 drum sanding mandrels along with the sleeves. Those will be handy. And the pink stones are for heavier grinding/sharpening of metals. But, I can't make out any burrs, or bits as some call them.

Try the better pictures so we can look over what you have,

Aloha, Tony

Personally, I have not had much luck with the mini-grinders. But, Dremel, and others, sell jillions of them so they are good for something and I, as usual, stand alone. With most burrs they can be used in only one direction. Check out the woodcarving catalogs for non-directional carving bits, they work very well.

I use the tool for enhancing cracks and punky spots etc before filling. I am going to have to get another collet for the smaller shaft ones but i am posting some pics of the bits that came with it. I got it at a garage sale very cheap and the grinder is new, the bits some new some used, carrying box, manuals for a dremel which is not what i got (think the dremel was sold prior),
but i have some bits that work and for now i have alot to use but will in the near future get the other collet............Dan

Attachments

• P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Dremel-8.jpg
    Dremel-8.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Dremel-7.jpg
    Dremel-7.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Dremel-6.jpg
    Dremel-6.jpg