Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rubber feet on cutting board?

rubber feet on cutting board?

Do any of you use rubber feet (or any other material) on your cutting boards? If so, why or why not? And, any sources for them? These seem kinda pricey to me http://www.vermontbutcherblock.com/c...roducts_id=121

Also, anybody had an end grain board warp? I made my first one out of hard maple & bubinga. Finished with Salad Bowl Finish cut 50% with mineral spirits, just like the Wood Whisperer. It was flat when I finished sanding it, warp has been within the last 72 hours. Is this normal? It has been VERY humid down here the last couple days.

As you probably guessed, the feet question is to solve the warp issue.

Thanks for any help you can give, Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100709_725 (800 x 536).jpg  

Tony, BCE '75

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Tony, I've never had any of my end grain boards warp but humidity is not usualy a problem here in the desert...
    Nice looking board.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Tony, I've used rubber feet on only one or two boards, at the request of the person buying it. I just bought them at the Borg...I think they were a little less expensive than those in the link you posted.

I've had a couple end grain boards warp, but they were relatively thin (less than 3/4" thick). I'm not sure why they warped, and in one of the cases it moved back to nearly flat after a couple of days. I ended up doing some selective belt sanding to get them close to flat again.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Don, humidity is 71% right now, it's gone down a bit since yesterday.

Tony, BCE '75

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    Don, humidity is 71% right now, it's gone down a bit since yesterday.
    28% here and 79 degrees..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've had a couple end grain boards warp, but they were relatively thin (less than 3/4" thick). I'm not sure why they warped, and in one of the cases it moved back to nearly flat after a couple of days. I ended up doing some selective belt sanding to get them close to flat again.
    Thanks Vaughn, this one is just shy of 1 1/4" thick. I'll let it sit for a couple days and see what happens. If it doesn't un-warp maybe I'll try sanding the center down on the bottom so it doesn't wobble.

I'm still curious about the feet though, seems that rubber feet would make it stable and keep it from sliding on the counter top.

I have another one that's just over 1 1/2 inch thick that I'm going to try a juice groove around the edge. It was purpleheart, but I sanded the purple out! Hope it comes back as bright as it was!

Tony, BCE '75

Tony,

I put some on our cutting board. They are clear and I got them at the local Ace Hardware store. They stick on and are about 1/8" thick.
    Ken
    ------

Ken beat me to it, the clear ones are the way to go, IMHO, as they are almost invisible.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Tony, the only reason I've not used feet on most of my cutting boards is to allow either side to be used (or displayed). I'm sure the feet will actually make the board easier to use. We have tile countertops, and I have to put a towel on the counter to keep my cutting boards from rocking or sliding in use. Feet would eliminate that need.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Feet are OK and can make clean up easier if a lot of juices run around the counter. I have used the clear ones and always put one in the center where working pressure is.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire