Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathe problems

Lathe problems

Hello everyone, I have the 15" Craftsman lathe and had some issues with it last night. I started it up last night to work on a project for my uncle and noticed that when I tried to swing at lower speeds (400-600ish), the lathe was not spinning at all. It did grab as I went faster, but even around 800 or so with a nice heavy cut I was able to stop the wood from spinning. Hhhmmm So I checked some stuff out online and ripped my lathe apart. At first I thought I was lucky and came accross this site. But the pictures and instructions are not very clear to me by the end. In the 2nd and 3rd to last pictures, it seems as though he's saying to loosen the "motor pivot bolt" and the he is wedging the motor towards the back Is he just tightening the small belt that is connected to the shaft of the motor?

... I do not even know that this is what I'm trying to achieve. This might be hard to explain or visualize if you don't have this lathe, but the speed control knob is threaded on one end, and whether loosened or tightened, moves this pivoting arm either forwards or backwards. This arm pushes on a tapered pulley that when turned to a faster speed, pushes the pulley in more, causing the belt to grab further out on the pulley and speeds up the lathe. In my case, when the control knob is turned all the way down to 400rpm, there is a good amount of slack between that pivoting arm and the pulley so the belt is not even grabbing the bottom pulley therefor not spinning until I get to a higher speed (around 800).

Sorry if that is hard to understand, though I'm sure this is not the only lathe out there with this sort of setup so hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about The only thing I can think of is if my belt is worn down enough that it is too narrow and won't grab the pulley at a low speed. There is a decent amount of rubber residue and grime inside the housing but my lathe isn't even 2 years old and I sure as heck don't use it everyday, so that's why I wasn't sure if it could be that or not. Anyone have this lathe or can help me out in anyway? Any help much appreciated everyone. Think I just need a new belt?

It sound like a Reeves(sp) drive and one of the drive wheels are not moving in and out like it should maybe the one that you said is real dirty. Clean it up as best you can and use some WD-40 to make it move in and out.

This is only a guess as I haven't seen this lathe.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    It sound like a Reeves(sp) drive and one of the drive wheels are not moving in and out like it should maybe the one that you said is real dirty. Clean it up as best you can and use some WD-40 to make it move in and out.

This is only a guess as I haven't seen this lathe.

Jay
    Ah yes, Reeves drive that is what it's called. Thanks for the response, Jay. Actually the pulley that is moved by the arm is moving, just that when it's completely backed off (400rpm), the belt is not grabbing it. I'm leaning towards a new belt, but maybe there's something I'm missing yet

Just check to see if both pulleys move in other words when you move the lever one pulley should get wider and the other narrower and then vise versa if the one pulley is not moving then thats the one that needs cleaning and attention

Westley, I had that same lathe, and saw your exact problem a few times. I think Jay nailed it. Your belt is slipping on the Reeves drive at lower speeds because one of the sliding pulleys is stuck, at least partway.

The upper pulley has a very heavy spring on it that constantly tries to push the two pulley sheaves together. My guess is the sliding sheave is getting stuck before it can close the gap all the way.

Here's what it looks like without the belt. (For now, ignore the hardware on the left...it's a rig I built for removing the spring.) The two sheaves of the upper pulley are touching:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reeves Drive No Belt.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	37674

And here's what it looks like with the belt in place. The outer edge of the belt should be almost flush with the edge of the upper pulley:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reeves Drive Low Speed.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	37675

The first time mine was stuck, I wrestled the belt off, and there was a gap of about 1/2" between the upper sheaves. I started tapping on it lightly with a dead blow hammer, and all of a sudden WHAM! They slammed shut faster than a mousetrap. I was VERY glad I didn't have my fingers in there. It would have probably meant a trip to the ER to get the tips of my fingers sewn up.

Anyway, see if you can get some graphite or other non-sticky lube on the places where the upper sheave slides, and see if you can get it unstuck. If not, or if it keeps happening repeatedly, then you'll probably need to remove the spring and outer sheave to clean up the shaft better. If you get to that point, let me know. I did it enough times, you might as well avoid the mistakes I made.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    ............... Here's what it looks like without the belt. (For now, ignore the hardware on the left...it's a rig I built for removing the spring.) The two sheaves of the upper pulley are touching...............
    Holy cow, that looks like you sacrificed the long end of a Bessey clamp for your puller
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Holy cow, that looks like you sacrificed the long end of a Bessey clamp for your puller
    You're right about the clamp bar, but it was from a ultra-cheap imported clamp that was useless. (I think four 48" clamps cost me something like $10 on eBay, and it was $10 wasted.) It's just a little shorter now, and it's still useless.

workingwoods.com

What Jay and Vaughn said.
    After two years and obvious gunk around, do replace the belt. Easier now than later. Just cut it. Clean up the whole area. Without the belt you can work the pulley with the control lever. Open the top pulley and lube. I like a lube called Break Free, it cleans and leaves a Teflon deposit on all surfaces. Reeves drives do require some maintenance but that is a small trade off for what they do for you with only a small investment. I used on happily for six years. BTW, I replace my belt four times in those years. Once after only a short while due to a defective belt. So with two years of use you are right on track. Get as good a belt as you can find. I have been told those from NAPA are very good.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...Get as good a belt as you can find. I have been told those from NAPA are very good.
    Unfortunately, I was only able to find the belts for my lathe like this from Sears, although I'd guess Palmgren (who made the lathe) also sell them. Both the Reeves belt and the drive belt are oddball sizes and profiles, and the typical belt suppliers don't seem to carry them.

Still, you're right about Reeve drives being a pretty good bang for the buck as long as you keep everything maintained.

Westley, if the edges of the Reeves belt are looking a bit frayed, it's probably time to replace it. Be forewarned that Sears is pretty proud of those belts...I think I paid $35 or $40 for the ones I bought.

workingwoods.com

Don't know if it would work, but woudl a link belt make installation easier? I know a guy with an old craftsman lathe, just step pulleys, that cut the old one and then replaced it with a link belt so he didn't have to take the spindle out of the bearings. Maybe the belts on reeves drives are different?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website