Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you hate being right.......

Sometimes you hate being right.......

We have lived in this house for 27 years.

The first 12 years I must have replaced our mailbox post 7 or more times. One year from December until the next November I replaced that mailbox post 3 times. I don't know what it is. It is an auto magnet. And I don't understand why. There is a telephone pole less than 30 inches from the mailbox post. If drive eastbound you can't get to the mailbox post for the telephone pole.

So 15 years ago after the 3rd time it got knocked down in less than twelve months I had my first "Tim the Tool Man, Taylor" incident. I went to a local welding shop. I gave the guy my design and he made it. He took a rectangular piece of 1/4" steel plate and welded some 5" schedule 40 pipe to it. At the other end he welded some 1/8" steel plate. He drilled 2 groups of 4 holes in the 1/8" plate and 4 3/'8" holes in the 1/4" plate. Meanwhile, I dug a hole and built a wood form and placed it in the hole. I then mixed....3 or 4 bags of concrete and filled the form. I had made a plywood pattern of the holes in the 1/4 " plate. I put 4 "J" bolts through the pattern place the j-bolts in the concrete.

The next day after painting the new steel post, I mounted it on the concrete pad and bolted it down.

I knew without a doubt the next cars that hit that rascal.....there would be more damage on the cars than the mailbox.

Prior to yesterday, 4 vehicles had hit that mailbox post. No damage to the mailbox....

Well yesterday morning, I made a run to Fedex to pickup some parts I'd ordered. As I returned home driving my company van, I turned into my driveway, the sun hit the windshield on the van. The glare momentarily blinded me and I struck the mailbox and post.

The 1/8" steel plate that my mailbox and my neighbors mailbox was mounted to.....well it penetrated the steel on the passenger side door of my company van....and bounced out and slid the entire length of the van before I got stopped.

The moral of this story......if you build a tank proof mailbox....don't test it with one of your own vehicles!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-08-2009 at 03:27 AM.
    Ken
    ------

That is so funny, I mean sad.....
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Aw heck Ken, that just sucks............................. but it is SOOOOO funny

Not laughing AT you, but with you, I'm sure after you finished being MAD at yourself, you to had a good chuckle about the irony of it all.

I'm just glad no one was hurt, vans can be fixed!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Bummer, Ken. On the bright side, it wasn't your vehicle.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn....that didn't make it any easier explaining the incident to my manager. I'll go get an estimate on Friday but I guessing $6,000-8,000 worth of damage.
    Ken
    ------

Did I mention that other than being tilted to a 20 degree angle...the mailbox post is fine?
    Ken
    ------

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Did I mention that other than being tilted to a 20 degree angle...the mailbox post is fine?
    B4 U go get an estimate, drive the van past the other side of the mail box so it gets get back to where it was...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Vaughn....that didn't make it any easier explaining the incident to my manager. I'll go get an estimate on Friday but I guessing $6,000-8,000 worth of damage.
    I was thinking that would not be an easy talk with the boss. That's why they (and we) buy insurance, though.

Glad to hear the mailbox survived, though. Your reputation for overbuilding is intact.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    B4 U go get an estimate, drive the van past the other side of the mail box so it gets get back to where it was...
    Hmmmmmmmm........
    Ken
    ------