Building my Dream

Man, that crew was really dragging their feet, huh? I'll bet you thought they'd never get done. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Looks like they did a great job, Rick. Isn't it great to watch a crew that knows what it's doing and works well together?

Now that we are back on track...;)

The concrete wall is complete, and the dirt has been filled and nearly compacted.

shopsite.jpg

Should finish the site prep this week and can start building the shop in the next couple of weeks (depending on builder schedule)

Been working on irrigation trenches this weekend, but had some trouble with the borrowed trencher, so still have more to do.

The best part of the weekend was the sunset this evening - spectacular !

SunsetWaterTank.jpg

Been working on irrigation trenches this weekend, but had some trouble with the borrowed trencher, so still have more to do.

Now that is a sunset!

So are the irrigation trenches to bring water in, or to take it out?
Do you have water issues there, or is this for the benefit of the future pecan orchard?

So how long does it take pecan trees to start producing?
I grew up in Niagara, deep in tender fruit territory. So I can tell you it takes 3 years before a peach tree produces fruit in any quantity. But I have no idea how long it takes a pecan tree to do the same. (I have heard that oak trees take 20-50 years to produce acorns...)
That dirt looks quite high... aren't they going to put gravel or aggregate under the slab?

The shop/house will be about 2000 feet off the road. The open field (pecan orchard) is on the ridge about 1500 feet off the road, and is where I took the sunset picture. The shop/house will be on the other side of the trees seen in the photo. We don't have complete silence, but traffic in the area is light, so it is very nice to hear the wind in the trees, and the birds and lizards moving around. And sometimes other critters. Got to watch where we put our hands.

Wolfspider.jpg

Orchard:
I should have said irrigation PIPE trenches. I am digging the trenches to bury the water pipe from the well to the orchard trees.
We broke the drive shaft on the trencher, so we are down for a few days. My dad was driving at the time:

DitchWitch.jpg

Planting pecan, hazelnut, almond, and walnut. Will put in some fruit trees later.

The pecans will start producing in 4-5 years, but will take 8 or so to mature.

Shop floor dirt:
The soil here is very sandy. The fill dirt requires compacting to 95%, but no gravel/aggregate required. Once the compaction is done, a moisture barrier will be placed before pouring the concrete floor.

A little update

Got a call from Hoover Buildings, and they think they will be able to start building the shop on Nov 16th.:)

In the mean time, I am working to get the irrigation system in (had to replace a busted drive shaft in the trencher), some landscaping around the tractor shed, started installing the split rail fence, and other odds and ends. Plenty to do, but I mainly want to get the shop up!

Due to the DST change, it is now dark when I get off work, so evening work is done with worklights - no photos. Should get some new progress pics this weekend.

With help from Dan, I have a better sketchup of the shop. Decided to move the cyclone and compressor room to the outside - kinda (enclosed a section of overhang). Got the finish room and bathroom shown. Now I have to start placing tools...
ShopStart.jpg

Got the irrigation tubing and micro sprinklers in for the pecan trees last weekend
IrrigationTrenchWeb.jpg

Here is a shot of the beginning of the fence. Got around 700 feet to run:(. Me and the post hole diggers are gettin' to know each other real well.;) This is the first time I have installed split rail fence - nothing square, nothing straight, nothing the same size:doh: Just following the contours of the land.
splitrailfenceWeb.jpg

This is what we are using to track and plan
WhiteBoardWeb.JPG
(we have a supplemental white board across the room for extra items when needed)

With help from Dan, I have a better sketchup of the shop. Decided to move the cyclone and compressor room to the outside - kinda (enclosed a section of overhang). Got the finish room and bathroom shown. Now I have to start placing tools...

Looking good, Rick!

- Is it just the plan, or is there a pole on the overhang partially blocking the overhead door?
- Is the overhang for lumber storage? If so, I'm curious as to why the overhead door is there.
- or is the overhang the "Front porch"?
- the windows... you may want to be careful with window height so that they don't block any benches or cabinets. Are they 4' off the floor?
- are you going to be putting DC and/or electrical into the floor for central machines? If so, talk to Larry, he did that! You want to be REAL sure of machine placement then.
- is that stove for heat? Seems like this placement might get in the way of prime lumber storage + work area. What about tucking it into that corner between the bathroom and the finishing room. That seems more out of the way (and yet somewhat central). :huh:

Now, who has the popcorn!?:lurk:

ps: which way is north? If the porch faced south, I'd put more windows there -- brings in sunshine in winter, but is shaded by the overhang in summer from direct sunshine, but either way brightens up the interior.

Last edited: