Building my Dream

Got the shop building started at 7:30 Friday morning! They tried to back the truck into the site, but could not handle the turn.
DeliveryTruck.jpg

They ended up unloading the trusses at the bend, transferring the other lumber to the boom truck to unload at the site.

Using the concrete retaining wall as a guide, they got things squared up and started setting poles...big (6x6), tall poles. Some mounted on the concrete wall, but most were set in the ground.
PolesStarted.jpgPostBracket.jpg

They got all the poles set except for the middle 3 on the wall. They want to place them after all the others are set and braced.

Here is how things looked at the end of Friday. Man, this going to be a BIG building:thumb: (reminder - 40x70x14 building with 12x70 porch.)
EODFriday.jpg

A small crew showed up on Sat and they were able to prep, move the trusses to the site, and actually set one truss.
TrussMove.jpgTrussSet.jpg
I was surprised that the bobcat could move the larger truss with the pipe boom, but it got the job done. (I need one of those boom thingys for my tractor :rolleyes:)

The smaller crews and larger building seems to be going slow compared to the tractor shed, but I was busy with other things while they were working. It was a beautiful Fall day with blue sky and lots of colors in the trees.

I had to dig out some of my trenches due to the heavy rains last week but made some progress on water pipes.
WellManifold.jpg

Also, my daughter stopped by for a visit and took some pictures of the fence install.
RickRobinFence.jpg
That's me trying to hold up the bottom rail with one foot while getting the top rail in the slot. The LOML considers this one of my "better" tricks :rofl:

Then I took a photo of her with her pug named "Nugget".They stayed a while and got to see a great sunset.
JessNuggetFenceWeb.jpgJessNuggetSunset.jpg

I will continue working on irrigation install on Sunday, and the building crew will be back on Monday. Everything is prepped, so I expect most (if not all) trusses will be set on Monday.

BART - the wife likes the idea of spraying the fence with the Cetol product. Looks like I need to buy a compressor, sprayer, and generator to be able to support the effort. I need suggestions on what size/type of equipment to purchase so I can use it in the shop for finishing. Can I use the same sprayer for both, or do they have completely different requirements? What about a compressor?:dunno:

Hmmm...maybe a new thread to discuss sprayer options?

for spraying upsidedown here`s what i use, i`ve linked to a couple of pages `cause the cun-n-cup are sold separately;
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Binks/Binks Mach1.htm
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/PPW/2quart.htm (the kb-2 devilbiss)
i didn`t bother to look but if you call these guys get a binks lineset and a 1.4 and 1.7 tip for the gun.

compressor for the shop.....quincy or ir 80 gal 2 stage pump.

airline.....buy 2+ high quality 1/4" rubber hoses 25ft long for "whips" and buy enough 3/8-1/2" harbor freight lines to reach your fence....the cheapies will hang on the wall 95% of the time and you`ll use the good lines every day.
my good lines are boston-weatherhead with foster fittings on `em.

Hmmm
Maybe I should go with something basic (cheap) like a wagner power painter to use on the fence. With 1000 feet of fence to cover, I don't think moving the compressor and a portable generator would be a good idea.

Shop progress: All the lumber is up, ready to start with the siding. Should have some pics tomorrow.

Hmmm
Maybe I should go with something basic (cheap) like a wagner power painter to use on the fence. With 1000 feet of fence to cover, I don't think moving the compressor and a portable generator would be a good idea.

How about a couple of kids, a paintbrush, and a bucket? :rofl:

Here are some shots of the building with all the lumber up.
Day5.jpg

From inside
Nend.jpg

Corner with door, high and low windows. They are doing a good job framing around the doors and windows.
DoorWindows.jpg

Looking at the south side with the overhang
Send.jpg

Also had to pickup 1000 ft of irrigation pipe. Not sure if this was legal transportation, but I got it delivered without a ticket:p
TruckPVCFromtsm.jpg

Siding and insulation started today, and I hope they will finish on Friday. Got next week off, so maybe I can finish up the irrigation - sure is taking longer than I expected. Power has been connected to the orchard, so the well can be completed (Thurs?) Trees have started arriving, so got to git'er done:D

PS: Someone asked about retirement and pecans as cash crop. I have 10 years or so before I can look at retiring, and pecans are not a great money maker, but if things work out, there should be a little $ coming in 8-9 years. They are mostly for our own enjoyment.

Last edited:
I had to compromise and put one window low so LOML could sit and see outside.

The roof (and sides) are steel.

We have had rain off-and-on, so progress has been slower.

Almost there with the shell
ShopNearDoneSm.jpg

Just need some final trim around the roof. Then the concrete floor.

I have been spending my time digging out trenches for irrigation. The rain keeps filling them back in before I get a chance to get the pipe installed:(
Oh my aching back! Got the main line in yesterday. If no rain today and tomorrow, should finish before Thanksgiving.
trenchSm.jpg

I had to compromise and put one window low so LOML could sit and see outside.

The roof (and sides) are steel.

We have had rain off-and-on, so progress has been slower.

Almost there with the shell
View attachment 39586

Just need some final trim around the roof. Then the concrete floor.

I have been spending my time digging out trenches for irrigation. The rain keeps filling them back in before I get a chance to get the pipe installed:(
Oh my aching back! Got the main line in yesterday. If no rain today and tomorrow, should finish before Thanksgiving.
View attachment 39587
Even then, digging trenches on that sort of soil seems rather forgiving to me, is that mainly sand? no rocks, no gravel? Are you close a river or a beach?

Even then, digging trenches on that sort of soil seems rather forgiving to me, is that mainly sand? no rocks, no gravel? Are you close a river or a beach?

Yes, absolutely the easiest soil to dig in - but it still takes a looong time. Even sand gets heavy after shoveling all day. It is also a bit awkward standing in a narrow 2 ft trench and trying to pick up a shovel full that wants to hang on all the little roots as it comes up. :doh: I am good for 4-5 hours, but not much more...:D
This area is very sandy. Have not seen a single rock on the 50+ acres so far. There is a creek that runs along the back of the property.
creek.jpg
It varies, but probably avg is 3-6 ft deep and 10-15 ft wide.

Not much to see, but here is a shot of the inside of the shop with the back door.
Inside.jpg

Got rained out again today. Chance for more tomorrow. I don't think the final trim will be installed until after Thanksgiving. Concrete pour should start on Mon/Tue.

Rick, a question about the floor pour. Why didn't they pour the floor before the walls were put up? That is how we always do it. Easier to work the sides and place the concrete.