Tales of bad drywall

I saw a 20/20? show on that a while back. A Florida couple and their dream home had the same issue. Corroding wiring and fixtures as well as the health problems. Pretty sad.

I read something on this recently, too. Really sucky situation for all involved.

I must say, though, that the wire nut they showed in the article you linked to doesn't look corroded to me...it's burnt.

Hmm...I read the article earlier today, but now I apparently need to be logged in to view it. :huh:

Vaughn, maybe because of the excess corrosion, the nut burnt?

Also the talk of tearing down the whole house, is that not a little much? Sure, tear out the whole interior, right down to the studs, but the whole house?

I can't imagine the mess involved.
I can believe the cost though -- ripping out all the drywall and wiring in a house!! That means new paint, new fixtures, probably new flooring at the same time... I sure couldn't afford that!

brrrrr.
...art

Yeah wouldn't be cheap. I's suspect that the wiring could be cut back an inch or so and should still be good, just have to replace switches, nuts and fixtures. Guess one would have to dig in and find out just how bad it is.