Vase

Chas Jones

______
________Glass lined Vase, ..____Click on image for larger view.
________

I like that it is not so glossy - what finish is it?

Oh dear, afraid you might be disappointed if you saw it in the flesh then, it has a high gloss buffed Carnuba Wax finish.

Deliberately, made a point of suppressing highlights during photography because they swamp the figuring.

Chas,

Please don't yell at me! did you drill the inside?

I really like the vase. You give me so many new ideals. I like this play with the layers of contrast.

I ask you not to yelled because on another forum people have made it clear that a "proper" vase is hollowed out with a proper turning tool.

I disagreed with the word "proper" because I drill bud vases, weed vases etc. and like them and they sell.

They would not relent in being "proper"

Paul

Paul, There's nothing wrong with drilling out the bulk of wood in a Vase in my opinion, it's the easist way to do it so why ever not, just hone your skills in the reduced time it takes to tool out the final shaping.

Have a look at This UK Forum WIP of mine doing just that.

However this Vase is made the same way as the Pencil Pots in previous post, section at a time, so hollowing is carried out as you build.

No need for expensive hollowing tools.;)

Last edited:
Chas that is a really nice vase. You have really got this pattern figured out!!!! When I get my lathe in the new shop, this is at the top of the list and if I failed to say so, "thank you very much" for the detailed build list. :thumb::thumb:

Great work Chas, (as usual of course)

I like to use the glass liners on my vases when I can... how do you hollow for the glass.. I usually cheat a littl and use a forstner up to about 3 inches then hollow from there if the glass is larger. I don't have any in stock, right now, people seem to like the ability to use a wood vase with water to hold flowers.

edit: Oops.. should have read all the thread before I jumped in... I use the drill bits quit a bit... saves time and gets the hole true to start... I can mess it up later if I need to expand it.

Last edited: