Thread: Making a simple box

DSM, IA

Making a simple box

Last night my dad and I attended a seminar at the Woodsmith Store that featured Rick Hutcheson turning a simple box. He is a great demonstrator and WOW he makes turning a box seem simple. He's turned a few.

I will be trying to make a few tonight. My dad and I both enjoyed the seminar and learned quite a bit I think too. Here's a link to how Rick makes boxes.

Click Here
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Cornwall, England
    In my experience the phrase 'simple box' is a contradiction in terms. I have yet to mak a box that works, where the lid fits the bottom consistently for longer than a day. For some reason I just can't do it despite reading the books, whatching the dvd's etc. Just doesn't happen. I'll do a 2mm goblet with a 3mm stem for you, turn a bowl with more holes than wood, turn pine and get a baby bottom finish but turn a simple box? Never happen

Goodland, Kansas
    Good info Jeff. I like turning simple boxes. Really fun to do and now I have started doing inlays on them. Really spruces them up.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ABQ NM
    Man, that guy is a turning machine. He's also either very fast, or his prices reflect a very low dollars per hour figure. I've not yet tried turning a box. Something tells me my experience would be about like Pete's.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Des Moines, IA
    Vaugh, he is fast. I think the simple little box he turned for the demo would have only taken him about 20 minutes from start to finish if he wasn't doing the demo. He likes cedar. He also commented that he turns several bowls every day also. I was a fine evening. and we learned a lot. I am going to have to try some too.

DSM, IA
    Well I tried a few boxes last night and nothing worked out right...first one I screwed up, second the wood was punky and the third the wood was punky and I screwed up. I need to cut up some good wood to try it next time...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Thanks for posting the tutorial.... I have a ton or two of cedar like that and have wanted to try a few boxes.... also good excuse to get to buy a Bedan tool....

Anyway I copied the tutorial and converted to PDF file for my future projects...
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.