Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Trust A Bear

Never Trust A Bear

There was a thread in the last couple weeks about big cats and bears, here are some pictures I just got in an Email about a bear release. Scary Stuff

Didn't say what happened to the Bear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg   005.jpg  

006.jpg   007.jpg   008.jpg   009.jpg  
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Dan,

The bear died. The handler was very experienced, and knew better than to do what he did, but still got careless.

But the real story here is the photographer. It's probably the most celebrated electronic copyright case in the history of the web. He spent several years sending out cease and desist letters to every site where these pictures were posted. And since they're such good pictures, they get posted all over the place. I think he's likely given up by now.

I guess we're going to find out soon enough whether he's finally given up!

Thanks,

Bill

The photographer didn't have a gun?
    In that kind of country with a bear involved, everyone should have a big banger handy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hey,
    can you blame the bear... somebody shoots you in the but with a dart that knocks you out, puts you in a box that's all hot hot and steamy (Probably smells like an old sweaty bear) then drives you out into the middle of nowhere, away from all the nice houses and people where you used to eat fairly frequently and easily, then just dumps you out.

Closest I have ever been to a bear is in the local zoo.... think I'll keep it that way.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

The passenger in the truck didn't seem to care about helping out either.

That bear is a lot bit bigger than the black's we have around here. And a lot nastier I suspect.
    we had one wander through the yard a few years ago during my son's going away party. Scared the heck out of the quests. My son sure had an interesting story to tell on his way to Iraq.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Never Trust A Baer

Hey... I resent that remark...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

that was a real nice sized bear for sure, and i too wondered what the passenger was doing all this time. this isnt the norm for a bear to act after a release..they generally just get out and run..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

1987, grizzly, Glacier National Park (Montana)

The bear was initially caught as a cow killer, guess it decided to go higher up on the food chain menu. The 60 year old game warden that was getting mauled ended up putting all six from his .357 magnum revolver into the bear and killed it.

I'll make you a bet it all happened in under 20 seconds. If you're not the one getting eaten you're probably barely figuring out what to do next.

New York Times article http://tinyurl.com/yasnnvs

I have direct experience with black bears in the San Gorgonio Wilderness here in southern California. I spent a few summers as a wilderness patrolman, I carried an overnight pack and gear, a shovel and a radio. I was almost always over 6000 feet in altitude whenever I saw them on foot. I had two memorable contacts. The first one was a bear that I saw crossing on a trail about 100-150 feet in front of me. I let it pass on by, waited a few minutes and continued. About 5 minutes later I had a crawling feeling up my neck and turned around, a few moments later there it is shuffling up the trail after me. I raised my arms, waived my shovel and yelled. No response, I radioed in my position and took some higher ground. After some more yelling and stomping and waving (and lots of sweating) it ambled off.

Another time my patrol partner and I were in our sacks when a bear walked through. My partner for some reason had vitamins in the outside pocket of her sleeping bag, the bear walked to her and flipped her over. The vitamins dropped out, it ate them and walked away.

Back in the day the Spanish and Mexican rancheros would go up the local mountains to capture grizzlies. Drag them down to the ranches in the flatlands and pit them against the biggest orneriest bull they had for a death match. Did I mention there are no more grizzlies in the southern California wilds?

My biggest scares were always the rattlers sunning themselves in the middle of the trail, those always gave me the heebie jeebies.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 10-10-2009 at 02:34 AM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

We use to have lots of bears at the dump and on the fishing trails up in Northern Bc around Terrace. I remember chucking some garbage out and had a kermode bear (white black bear) pop his head out of the garbage and check out my garbage with me standing about 4 ft from him. I have some great shots of a grizz that was walking across an open field. I crouched down behind a shrub to get some good pics and he turned and started walking towards me. Got about 15 ft from me and sat down to eat some dandilions. Got some great pics of him. Recently we were driving up the west coast of Vancouver Island up towards port Renfrew and we saw blacks almost every day. Of course I brought my camera with me and got some great shots of the bears. Some as close as 15 ft. I have been very fortunate to get some wonderful shot of all kinds of big game wild life in my years and no mishaps yet. Thank the man upstars for that.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Drew,
    No Pics, didn't happen...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward