This little HF is about 4" wide and 4 1/2" tall. It's some of the desert ironwood I got last spring from a guy that I met at one of the art shows. Aside from a couple bottle stoppers, this is the first "real" piece I've turned from it. The whole log (I'm guessing 150+ pounds) was hollow most of the way though and pretty badly checked. Some spots are pretty crumbly, but if it stays together it finishes out nicely. The voids are places where the walls just crumbled away...they weren't there when I started. I ended up getting a bit of the wall thinner than I'd planned, so I went ahead and made the whole thing that thin. It's about 1/16" thick all the way down the sides, and about 3/8" to 1/2" on the bottom. I was shooting for a Pueblo Indian look, and I think I got what I was looking for.
This has no finish on it...just sanded to 600 then buffed with tripoli and Don Pencil's PL compound, followed up with Renaissance wax.
Attachment 37775 Attachment 37776 Attachment 37777
This one will be a gift to the guy who sold me the wood. He's coming to the show tomorrow to pick it up, so I figured I should get it photographed tonight.
I forgot to take any progress pics, but here are a couple shots of the blank I started with. You can see where I drilled a 1" hole to hold the spur center while I was roughing it out.
Attachment 37778 Attachment 37779
Comments and critiques are welcome, of course -