Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted Maple Bowl

Spalted Maple Bowl

After my box turning attempt went south, I chucked up a blank of spalted maple and this is what I ended up with. 12" X 5" finish so far is a few coats of danish oil...which it sucked up. There were some punky areas that caused some tear out, but I wet sanded with oil with 220, 320 and 400 and the slury filled some of that up. This is kinda thin for me , but I like it. This will probably end up on our table for fruit.

Comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_00011.jpg   p_00012.jpg   p_00013.jpg   p_00014.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I like the spalted wood and with the finish on it im sure its going to look great. The same thing happened to me when i was trying to make a hollow vessel and it had a bad spot in it so i gave up on making it a vessel and turned it into a bowl...ahhh well there will be other times......Dan
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Jeff - sure is some pretty wood! Nice form!
    Steve

Jeff,
    Love the spalted maple... I have about a ton that I hope I get turned before I lose any of it... a lady came by my booth last spring and said she had a tree in her back yard with "that disease"... I looked at it and it was spalted maple... the original tree was somewhere between 24 and 30 inches diameter and had been cut over a year when she gave it to me.... still lots of solid wood and lots of ants in the wood.... first trip I loaded my little Ranger to the hilt and made asecond trip last month for another load. I didn't take the limbs... mostly 5-6 or 8 inches diameter x about 18-24 inches chunks.... but the trunk pieces are beautiful.

I really like the shape and design you put on this bowl.... looks like the oil may have darkened the wood slightly, otherwise wow....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Thanks for the comments....

Chuck danish oil does usually darken the wood a little. I like it on most pieces but I am going to buy some "artist fix", can't remember what is called, to try out as well. It basically puts a clear finish on that does not change the color. I read about it in David Ellsworth's book.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

i am startun to see why yu can sell that spinny stuff jeff.. thats a fine fruit bowl yu have there and alot thinner than normal for yu
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Great form and some really pretty wood Jeff. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautifully done Jeff! That wood is gorgeous!
    Ken
    ------

Nicely done, Jeff. I was gonna poke at you for making it so thin, but then you went and beat me to it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very cool. I actually was able to see that one up close and personal. It feels as good as it looks.