Spalted Maple Bowl

Jeff Bower

After my box turning attempt went south, I chucked up a blank of spalted maple and this is what I ended up with. 12" X 5" finish so far is a few coats of danish oil...which it sucked up. There were some punky areas that caused some tear out, but I wet sanded with oil with 220, 320 and 400 and the slury filled some of that up. This is kinda thin for me :rolleyes:, but I like it. This will probably end up on our table for fruit.

Comments welcome.

Attachments

• p_00011.jpg
    p_00011.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 47
  • p_00012.jpg
    p_00012.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 40
  • p_00013.jpg
    p_00013.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 37
  • p_00014.jpg
    p_00014.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 39
I like the spalted wood and with the finish on it im sure its going to look great. The same thing happened to me when i was trying to make a hollow vessel and it had a bad spot in it so i gave up on making it a vessel and turned it into a bowl...ahhh well there will be other times......Dan

Jeff,
Love the spalted maple... I have about a ton that I hope I get turned before I lose any of it... a lady came by my booth last spring and said she had a tree in her back yard with "that disease"... I looked at it and it was spalted maple... the original tree was somewhere between 24 and 30 inches diameter and had been cut over a year when she gave it to me.... still lots of solid wood and lots of ants in the wood.... first trip I loaded my little Ranger to the hilt and made asecond trip last month for another load. I didn't take the limbs... mostly 5-6 or 8 inches diameter x about 18-24 inches chunks.... but the trunk pieces are beautiful.

I really like the shape and design you put on this bowl.... looks like the oil may have darkened the wood slightly, otherwise wow....

Thanks for the comments....

Chuck danish oil does usually darken the wood a little. I like it on most pieces but I am going to buy some "artist fix", can't remember what is called, to try out as well. It basically puts a clear finish on that does not change the color. I read about it in David Ellsworth's book.