Large Flat Slab and Base Attachemnet Question

Dan Mosley

I bought a large burl slab and root base to make a table. The base is level and sits flat on the garage floor well with the root tips leveled. The Slab has been belt sanded on the bottom side to get it as level as i can (nobody where i live has a drum sander large enough nor a planer). I have placed the slab on the root base on the garage floor but i still get a bit of rocking on it.

My question is: what is the best way to attach the base to the slab and make it level ?

Im thinking about small shims if I have to and im sure i can hide them so there not seen. Then drill holes and counter sink wood screws to secure it but before i go forward with this i wanted to get other opininons on the attachment.................Thanks Dan

PS there are Pics attached of the wood im talking about

Attachments

• Table Base-4.jpg
    Table Base-4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Birdseye Burl.jpg
    Birdseye Burl.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
i have a couple pieces of that style stuff. Dan and they used LARGE screws and then plugged the holes with some of the parent wood. as for the leveling, shims will work and i am sure no one is gonna get down to see if there was or wasnt.. myslef i would try to get it stable with out shims,, use some chaulk and then rock it back and forth and yu can find where your high spot is.. but if it fights yu go with shims.. that style of furniture is heavy, so get some help when it comes to moving it:)

Flatten it with a hand plane.

If the top is heavy enough I would try just letting sit on the base unattached. Put some larger dowels in the bottom of the top. Drill slightly over sized holes in the base. (or vice versa) If the dowels are long enough and the holes not way over sized that should keep it from flipping off the base if someone leans against of sits on it.

don has a good point dan,, i have a coffe table that is just as he states,, its in two pieces for the base with the glass being 3/8" thick,, has held up well. and yu can see the the root work threw the top!!!