Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big'uns

Talking Big'uns

Man this one was bigger than I thought!! I won't let this happen to me again :lol: 8)

Man, I sure starting to really think about charging for heavy :lol: Everything this customer ordered is thick N wide. It's ALL too much for one man, or at least this one man :lol: It is some pretty timber. He didn't want it q-sawn.

Man I sure do hate doing this!!! I had to take the guards off for the extra clearance. But it works on me to do that. There's no telling what would happen if that blade was to break. As soon as I got it so that I could replace them I did just that.

That's quite a log. What did you end up with for finished width?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

had a few bigguns cut myslef this year fun arent they cant belive that guy didnt want gtr outa that one yu need good sized logs to get good gtr, and that one definatly qualifies..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Sweet lookin wood.

Jim, look to the rigth of the board. There is a level, which is 1-1/2" wide.

The max capacity of the mill seems to be the problem with the big'uns. You have to do too much creative chain saw work to get the thing through the mill. I had some cherry cut a couple of months ago and lost a lot because the mill couldn't cut the width of the log. The mill also didn't have hydraulic load and position capability, so it was hand crank the winch and lots of cant hook....not doing that again!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04621-c.jpg   DSC04633-c.jpg   DSC04642-c.jpg   DSC04634-c.jpg  

ted in the last pic, why is it so high on one end? should be parrelle with the saw frame to the pith center?.. yu shouldnt have lost that much normally.

Larry..the log had a bit of a crook in it and that pic was when we were turining it looking for the best way to cut....looks like some kind of cannon!!

i see yup sometimes they need to turn a few times to finally get them ready to cut..once yu get one flat your off to the races..

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    The max capacity of the mill seems to be the problem with the big'uns. You have to do too much creative chain saw work to get the thing through the mill. I had some cherry cut a couple of months ago and lost a lot because the mill couldn't cut the width of the log. The mill also didn't have hydraulic load and position capability, so it was hand crank the winch and lots of cant hook....not doing that again!!
    HI Ted and all, I got almost 200BF out of the slabs once I got done with the logs. I got around 550BF out of the log plus the 200 from the slabs. I like the big logs but not this big.