Thread: Big'uns1

Talking Big'uns1

We bit off a mouth full with this one. I can't imagine how some of you folks with manual mills do this with out the help of heavy equipment. I wouldn't even attempt this if I did'nt have the overhead hoist. I love the big logs as long as they don't expect them to be done in 15 or 20 minutes.

A little trim work

Gettin closer, this is some pretty wood.

More pix coming most of the ones that we took yesterday got trashed.

in pic two it looks like a steel or fiberglass handle on a peebie,, how do you like that over wood ones if i see it correctly?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    in pic two it looks like a steel or fiberglass handle on a peebie,, how do you like that over wood ones if i see it correctly?
    Huh? Wassa peebie?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Huh? Wassa peebie?
    Log roller/holder.

LarryI have tried them and have had them hold up good. Well around here, I have seen pickups used to pull logs up onto the platform. Wonder why my tranny has dropped twice.

we have a pair of wooden ones and have got one of them broike and patched now so was lookun at gettin a nother one,, frank without one yu dont move logs very easy. and they are great for cuttin firewood too yu cut part threw roll it over and no dirt on your chain..also yu can witha good peebie and some chocks and aset of ramps roll logs onto a trailer by hand fairly easy and i mean some good sized ons 18" to 20" class ten to twelve ftrs..two people
    Last edited by larry merlau; 10-11-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Lookin' at the log, it appears that it has some areas that TURNERS will like.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Frank, Larry misspelled it. Its called a Peavey, named after the man that invented the Peavey back in the 1800's. It has quite the following, both for the river drivers then, and the loggers of today. In fact 150 Years later the Peavey Manufacturing Company is still in business and still makes peaveys.

"A logging tool description from the Lumberman's Museum at Patten, Maine, reads in part: "A cant dog or cant hook was used for lifting, turning, and prying logs when loading sleds and on the drive. At first, a swivel hook on a pole with nothing to hold it in position was used. This was called a swing dingle. In 1858, Joseph Peavey, a blacksmith in Stillwater, Maine, made a rigid clasp to encircle the cant dog handle with the hook on one side. It moved up and down, but not sideways. All loggers have used it ever since."

http://www.ruralheritage.com/jump.cg...peaveymfg.com/
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

It is a credit to the members of this forum, the moderators, and the CoC that I can open a thread with a title such as this and not be afraid of what might pop up on my screen.

BTW - nice log.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Thats a logrite cant hook. I like it much good. When you hook a log with it,...it stays hooked

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    It is a credit to the members of this forum, the moderators, and the CoC that I can open a thread with a title such as this and not be afraid of what might pop up on my screen.

BTW - nice log.
    Faith, Hope & Charity