Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End Grain Maple Calabash Bowl

End Grain Maple Calabash Bowl

This Maple bowl is 10 diameter x 5 high with walls at 1/16 thick. The bottom of the bowl is or slightly thicker to give the bowl some weight. Sanded to 320 and has the first of several coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maple Calabash Bowl v1.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	37837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maple Calabash Bowl v2.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	37838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maple Calabash Bowl v3.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	37839 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maple Calabash Bowl v4.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	37840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maple Calabash Bowl v5.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	37841

The bowl was quite a challenge to get clean undercuts. I did hollow this in stages and that helped keep the bowl stable.

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome.

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

Steve, yet another beautiful piece of wood that you have done proud!

I'm really going to have to get my lathe out from under the stuff that is piled on it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very nice, Steve. A little on the thick side, but it'll do. Jeff Bower might have some pointers for you on thinning it up. (And you both know I'm kidding.)

Man, it's almost like we're twin brothers from separate mothers...

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=15882
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Beautiful, as usual
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Steve, wonderful work as usual. I think I need more practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very nice, Steve. A little on the thick side, but it'll do. Jeff Bower might have some pointers for you on thinning it up. (And you both know I'm kidding.)
    Ummmm, Steve, just one more cut should do it.

Beautiful bowl Steve.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

obviously I'm missing an inside joke or just clueless.. maybe and probably both.

I like the form... still working on getting my walls down to that thickness.... after that cherry piece blew up last summer and about 1/2 the bowl hit me in the chest, I'm still a little gunshy about really thin... working on it though.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Red face Measurement way off!

I went down to the shop this morning to check and see if the bowl was dry enough for a second coat. It was but in the process of handling it I thought it was WAY too heavy for a 1/4" bottom. I mean, Maple can be heavy, especially after a couple of saturation coats of oil or poly - but this was way more than I expected.

Grabbed my measuring stick and checked the bowl and was honestly shocked to find that the bottom of the bowl was not the 1/4" as reported but it was 7/8"! What the? How in the world did that happen? Well that sure accounts for the weight!

Got to thinking about it and when using a laser point system you have to watch the dot on the wood while turning. When the dot falls off the wood - you have reached your preset distance. I had the distance loosely set for 1/4" as I knew I would lose a little wood from sanding inside the bowl as well as when I removed and sanded the tenon area. What I didn't pay attention to was my viewing angle!

With the diameter of the turning, the steep angle of the bottom of the bowl - combined with my height - I was viewing everything from a skewed angle (cause I did not want my face in the line of fire) and I stopped when I thought it was about 5/16" thick instead of having the laser dot fall off the turning. I should have stopped turning and just used the laser to take a static measure of remaining depth - which I normally do on hollow forms! Nope - I knew what I was doing! Yeah.... right!

So - now I either accept that I have a heavier than anticipated bowl or figure a way to get it centered on the vac chuck and turn it down to where it should be! Ah........ the pressure!

Vaughn - nice looking bowl! But I have to point out 2 things - you get to be the brother played by Danny Devito and mine is bigger by 1/2". I do think your bowl has a lot of character and the contrast of the dye work with the exterior of the bowl works well!

Chuck - Jeff has turned some great looking yet seriously thick bowls!
    Steve

If anytime I take the plunge to the spinny vortex Steve, you and your pieces will have part of the blame, together with some other great stuff from other turners fro this forum
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I see your work and wish I could be turning right now.

Nice job.