Thread: After the flood

After the flood

Several trees were pushed over during the last flood near my tree-farm here in SW MO. One was a nice hackberry which I have never turned before.
    This tree was not on my property but on the road right-of-way --- I asked the owner of the land adjacent to the road and She said go get it. It would not be there very long --- the road grader already moved it further off of the shoulder. In the following photos you will see a medium size Black Walnut that I did not bother with.... I have b. walnut coming out my ears.

the damage from the flood -- pushed the blacktop off the bridge - this is usually a dry creek.

The log being cut into manageable size

cutting still -- notice the black walnut on the ground behind the hackberry

The curly willow was in a friends yard and she wanted it gone -- just an experiment for me...
    Last edited by Paul Gallian; 12-19-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Paul,
    Let the Hackberry sit awhile and it'll take on a nice grey tone in the wood... but be warned it is hard...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Thanks Chuck for the advise.

What if I rough it out then let alone -- will still get a good color?
    still sings!

Nice haul, Paul. That a lot of bowls on the hoof. I'm also envious of all the chocolate you guys have living in walnut-land.

Hackberry spalts nicely, and I think it does so pretty easily, too. The few pieces hackberry I've turned were all pretty soft. Along with the spalting the blanks were borderline punky, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That looks like a whole lot of work, but the reward looks well worth it Paul!

I desperately need some green wood for an upcoming Demo by Eli Avisera from Israel next week, I'm still trying to scrounge some up.

Lots of wood spaghetti you have there too, cutting them blanks, that stuff just chokes my electric chainsaws, but out side with the chainsaw is the way to do it for sure.

Love the Red Anchor Seal, the only stuff I've seen is milky in color, and when it dries it is hard to see, the colored stuff makes good sense to me!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice score Paul. I hope the road get's fixed soon.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Nice haul, Paul. That a lot of bowls on the hoof. I'm also envious of all the chocolate you guys have living in walnut-land.

Hackberry spalts nicely, and I think it does so pretty easily, too. The few pieces hackberry I've turned were all pretty soft. Along with the spalting the blanks were borderline punky, too.
    Hackberry also finishes very nicely, it can give an attractive chatoyance.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Stu,

The red anchorseal is great stuff... no problem seeing where it has been applied.

I ordered 5 gallons direct from UC Coatings ! saved a few dollars but now I am not very conservative with application.

They emailed me to make sure order was received and correct. NOT a hassle type letter. Then a week later a phone call.. wanting to know if I was pleased and if I was a turner... I answered yes and also said that I have a bandsaw mill and cut my own lumber. This was not a sales phone call..
    ----
    No more floods I pray --- at the very least next year...
    still sings!