Hello from Mesa, AZ

adam baum

HI All,

My name is Adam and I am a new "Family" woodworker. I started up the hobby a little over seven years ago. I don't do a whole lot yet except spend money. I've made a few utilitarian bookcases (didn't even bother to remove the Home Depot color code on the end of the wood), a coffee table, kitchen island, and a few boxes. Also managed to turn out about 100 pens. When people ask why I have so many tools, but so few projects to show, I just tell them I am learning a hobby for my retirement years. :D No need to rush given that I won't be retiring for at least 20 years. Actually, this year has probably been my most productive so far. Three items completed: Two for the shop and one practice box to test out my new table saw.

I am getting a bit bored with pens so my goal for this year is to increase my turning skills and learn how to turn bowls.

adam

Hey Adam,:wave: Welcome to the family. I'm from just down the road a piece. I am sure you will find this place a useful toal in your quest to learn. There are a few other family members in the area and they both turn so if you need help just ask. One thing to remember is we like pictures of projects.

HI All,
I am getting a bit bored with pens so my goal for this year is to increase my turning skills and learn how to turn bowls.

adam

Welcome to the family Adam.:thumb: The way I see it is that a bowl is only a very thick pen, so if you can turn pens I think that you wont'be bad at bowls:dunno:

Welcome to the Family Adam. If you are bored with Pens take up flatwork and buy a hand-plane.

I already have a few. Nothing fancy, just them cheapie Home Depot specials. Once you spend a few hours tuning them up, they are not so bad. Only mildly bad. :) I figure I might as well learn on cheap handlplanes before I get some nice Veritas or LNs.

adam