Flat flatwork

allen levine

As I mentioned, I attempted to make some arched candle holders(Glenns method), but I lack the talent, and tried to take a short cut first attempt, then built the jig, but still managed to mess up. Trashed 2 blades on the bandsaw, and I decided to order new tires for the bandsaw wheels since I noticed I damaged them with the trashed blades.
The chunk of wood I had glued up from scraps, today I decided to cut something out of it, to hold some voltives, and my wife said it looks like a sleigh, my daughter expected 3 arches, she wasnt thrilled.
Flatwork gone flat.
(I told my daughter life is full of dissapointments)
I also sorted through the scraps since I cleaned up alot of the garage, and decided to make boards. I dont really enjoy the cutting board thing, because its time consuming and I dont sell them, only give them away as gifts, but my wife did ask me to make some gifts.
I managed to get 6 made. 2 small ones, nothing special, had alot of 6-8 inch scraps, and 4 bigger ones. One of the bigger ones, the nicest I feel of all, ended up having a seam open a tiny bit. Now I dont know if I should give it as a gift, its inferior craftmanship. Take a look, should I trash it? (second seam from left)
Not a good week for flatwork for me, too many mistakes, some costly ones.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1383 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1383 (Medium).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 54
  • wood stuff 1384 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1384 (Medium).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 47
Allen,
looks great from here. that one seam.. if it really bugs you, cut it apart and reglue it.

They look good from here, but I understand the reluctance to give away something you're not happy with. I've had cutting boards that I cut apart to fix a bad joint, along the lines of Ned's suggestion. I ended up cutting not only the bad joint open, but all the others that ran the same direction, so my strips would still all be the same width. It add a bit of time and makes the finished project a bit smaller, but it was worth it to my pride.

I cant bring myself to recut scraps that Ive jointed and planed and then have to recut and reglue.
I think Ill let it go and use it as a surface when my wife puts a hot pot or dish on the table. It will serve some purpose.
I was thinking about drilling out the center and making a kitchen clock out of it.

I have some wolverine walnut that Im itching to try out and make a small hall table before I shut down for a few months.

First thought, run it across the table saw both edges and reglue. So, that isn't an option? Cut out a shape using a scroll saw, trace that edge on the board covering the split with a knife, cut that out and replace with an initial, shape, etc. ??? Nice work!!!!