Compressor?

Rick Prosser

OK, this is going to show just how ignorant I am, but I am going to ask anyway...

Why do I need an air compressor in my woodworking shop? What all is it used for?

I see air hoses used to blow off shavings and dust, but I could use a shop vac for that.

My power tools are electric.

I told the wife that I was going to put the compressor with the dust collector in a "noise room", and she asked why I needed a compressor...and I did not have a good answer.:huh:

I just know I need one, so help me out here:eek:

Oh - and what size?

Well Rick..... One reason is just cuzz you want it. But a day will come when you may want to use some air nailers, both brad and pin nailers. Also you may want to spray some of your finishes on wood projects. Cleaning out the gears on the table saw every so often. If the LOL has a low tire you will be her hero.:rofl::thumb:

It's surprising how much I use compressed air. The obvious uses are spraying finishes and air nailers and staplers but I often use it to blow out an area of wood chips or to clean off some woodwork. I have an old 1HP Craftsman (real 1HP) and it's fine for my use. I have one of those overhead reels so I can pull the hose down to any place in my shop.

Mike

I used to think the same way but then i bought a small pancake compressor on sale at HD. I started using it more than i thought i would for all the above (airbrush,pumping up tires,blowing out bowls and hollow forms etc-). I use it after turning alot to blow out the garage-like a air broom everything into a pile and pick up with a dust pan. I think its less hassle than unplugging the filter in my shop vac all the time (and i use it to clean the filter in my shop vac out lot also). It comes in very handy and you will use it alot.............................Dan

PS-I recently upgraded to a Ingersol-Rand, vertical, 60gal and im lovin it..,..

I'll echo the other guys. Compressed air seems to remove more fine dust from a piece than a shop vac, so I always blow things off before applying the finish. Don mentioned air tools can be less expensive than the electric counterparts. That's true, and they often have better longevity, but they are not necessarily less expensive to run. My 2" pneumatic ROS is not very energy efficient hooked into a 5 HP compressor on a 40 amp 220v circuit, but it sure does the job nicely. ;)

When I installed my air system, I included an extra connection and hose reel (for my wife) by the shop door. We use it to sweep off the back patio, and LOML likes using it to blow the dust off her little ceramic figurines and other knick-knacks.

Two routes you can go here, just buy a really big one and be done with it, most of us would really miss NOT having a compressor in our shops. Second route is to buy a little pancake compressor, and use it, I think once you have a compressor around you will see the benefits of having it, and the benefits of it being a large one, as the oil-less pancake units get tiresome after a while.

The nice thing about doing the second route is that you will most likely find a small portable compressor very useful as well, on site installations and such. Brad nailers and air staplers are great tools for lots of jobs! :thumb:

if you`re serious about "work" not just woodworkin` eventually you`ll end up with a "large" (at least to you now;)) compressor.
the very smallest unit i would recomend is an american made 20 gal or so cast iron two lung pump.
for a shop you`ll really be money ahead to buy a stationary unit that puts out 11+ cfm.
i like quincy and ir brands, they`re a bit more expensive than the imports but are well made units that have very good parts networks.
if you`re able go sit down and talk to an industrial compressor dealer they will be able to show you hands on size and quality difference.
plumbing for air should really be addressed now just like your dust collection/electrical/plumbing/hvac......it`s a "mechanical system" in builders terms. being as you are in the "footer" stage of construction give serious thought to how all of your systems are going to interact with oneanother.

as far as "what will you use air for?"..............everybody has started the list and i`m sure more will chime in........but you`ll use air in a shop period!

Like some of the other guys, I have a small 1.5 hp 4 gallon compressor. The only thing I use it for is blowing off tools and projects and use it for my nailers and staplers.
Its small enough to haul out to the garage and pump up tires. I don't use it frequently but I would hate to give it up.

Everyone else has summed up the need for a compressor in a wood shop. I'll add that I started with a small portable, then changed to a larger portable and finally ended up with a 6hp 60gal that I got on a good deal from a friend. I wish I had had the big one all along.

I spray most finishes and need the 10-11cfm my compressor provides. I'm sure you'll spray some finishes as well and an HVLP gun requires good air flow.

One thing I'll add about using it for cleaning up projects or the shop in general. I use a shop brush, vacuum or dust collector for initial project cleaning and all shop cleanup. Using an air hose to blow the dust and chips off a tool is quick but it also creates a ton of airborne fine dust that gets into everything, including your lungs.

If I recall correctly, you're doing a lot of construction and if that's the case, nails "will" get lost all over the place...and you'll eventually find them in a tire sometime later. When I went that route, it seemed that I had a flat every time I turned around. Wasn't long till I bought a supply of tire plugs and to be honest, the compressor was bought to save that 7 mile trip to town just to put air in the portable air tank every week.

I also bought an impact wrench and ratchet at the same time. Talk about a time and back saver! Beside what everyone else mentioned...I hardly ever pass a day that I don't use the compressor. Mostly on keeping my chainsaws clean, or whatever tool I am using. A clean tool is a happy tool:D

If you're going to get one, get the best you can afford....My first compressor was an oiless, which worked fine until the belt broke. Took it to get fixed, and rather than just replacing the belt, the unit was designed in such a way that the only fix was to replace the compressor itself. Didn't make any sense to me, so I just bought the old style compressor (cast iron sleeves), twin cylinder, normal belts, and absolutely love it! Just be sure to drain it on a regular schedule to keep the rust out.

On a side not....The good wife sure grew tired of it taking hours just to get the flat on her car fixed....guess who was more anxious about me getting a replacement compressor fast? One piece of equipment she was pushing me to replace....now to only get her to feel a sense of urgency for a new jointer...:D

It's surprising how much I use compressed air. The obvious uses are spraying finishes and air nailers and staplers but I often use it to blow out an area of wood chips or to clean off some woodwork. I have an old 1HP Craftsman (real 1HP) and it's fine for my use. I have one of those overhead reels so I can pull the hose down to any place in my shop.

Mike

Mike how do you manage to spray with a unit that size? I was under the impression it was not possible due to the cfm output?

One thing I'll add about using it for cleaning up projects or the shop in general. I use a shop brush, vacuum or dust collector for initial project cleaning and all shop cleanup. Using an air hose to blow the dust and chips off a tool is quick but it also creates a ton of airborne fine dust that gets into everything, including your lungs.

Bill how do you know i did this and found out the hardway.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Regretted that day ever since. I was just testing the overhead retractable hose installation and got carried away.:rofl:

Rick there is one thing that has been mentioned but i read all the posts in the context of woodworking rather than in the context of construction.
You are building a new shop and shortly a new house. Well when people have referred to nailers i think you should read construction nailers even before we get into the brad nailers. This might have been obvious but it was not to me.:eek::)

Two routes you can go here, just buy a really big one and be done with it, most of us would really miss NOT having a compressor in our shops. Second route is to buy a little pancake compressor, and use it,

Third route, Get Both! I've got a big one in the shop and a little 1horse portable I use for other projects around the house. Just used the little one the other day when I was replacing some trim around the windows on the SE side of the house.

Mike how do you manage to spray with a unit that size? I was under the impression it was not possible due to the cfm output?

My latest project is requiring me to use a spray gun to apply lacquer. I bought one of the telecaster kits from the Grizz and am putting a thick sparkly holographic flake finish on it, which requires building up a substantial clear coat on top of the flakes before finishing.

Using a cheap HF HVLP gun, I've had success spraying with both the small compressor and the large. Of course it's a small project, so I'm not running the compressor for very long periods.

BTW, the HVLP sprayer works great compared to a 'regular' spray gun. The regular spray gun does fine, but creates a mist that clouds the entire area. The HVLP one just seems to lay down the lacquer nice and neatly with very little overspray.

hey brent nice dog pic there:D:thumb:

i am another get both, one for the portable work and the bigger one for the shop but if yu have to choose just one get bigger one. i dont know how much of the work your going to do on this new homestead but from what yu have shown us your gonna want more air than a pancake will handle efficiently..they will run gun nailers for the construction and yu can get by sprayun with one but the heavy use starts to add up quick on a pancake,, and the noise does too:)

Last edited:
Thanks Larry!

If it's in the budget, and you don't anticipate the portable requirements, I'd vote get the big shop one first. You can always pick up the smaller ones when they go on sale pretty darn cheap.

Oh, and did anyonemention all the money you'll save being able to keep your vehicle tires up to proper pressure at home! :rofl:

Thanks Larry!

Oh, and did anyonemention all the money you'll save being able to keep your vehicle tires up to proper pressure at home! :rofl:

+1

That was a big issue in justifying the purchase to the good wife....sure was nice to have her pushing for the purchase!:thumb:

On a side: Be sure to buy good quality hose that will not get stiff in cold weather or crack after 3 month's....is the one regret I had after I bought the "good deal" hose from harbor freight:( Also buy enough to reach from shop to house/garage...is so much easier to hook up extra hose than constantly dragging the compressor around.

Reasons I have a compressor (or at least compressed air supply, as my compressor is in the garage and piped to the shop.

1. As you say to blow off projects (although I seldom use it because it really scatters the mess) But I do use some detailed blowing when repairing elec. tools, etc.

2. Air powered drivers, I have nail guns, brad guns, staplers, etc these are handier than a third hand.

3. Spraying finishes on projects. although I most often use a wipe-on finish.

4. Pnumatic tools, I often assemble projects other than WWing and use one of the handiest tools, the air rachet.

5. I also use vacuum (through the use of a vacuum generator powered by compressed air) to stabalize woods and a vacuum bags for glueing, etc. also (although I don't use it) vacuum chuck for the lathe.

6. cool to say how you have air in your shop.

If none of these are important to you or within you standard procedures or tool accumulations, then there is no reason to have air. but if any appeal to you or are in your shop future, then you might consider planning such an endeavor.

:thumb::thumb:

thanks for the comments.

To sum up, the Compressor in the shop is used for

Blowing out chips and dust
Finish spraying
construction nailers/staplers and other tools
Sanding/grinding tools
Flat tire repair

I have a small portable (1 gal tank?) unit for flat tires, so I can't use that approach.
I have a cyclone DC to catch most of the dust, and would probably want to vacuum the dust instead of spraying it around the shop, so that is covered.
I can use the electric sander, so nothing there.

I would say the construction tools make the best arguments for justification at this time. Although, it would seem that a portable unit (to move to the home construction area) would be prudent. We want to do as much of the work on the house as we can, and new tools will be required, so if air tools are the best solution - I can sell the compressor idea. How large a unit (portable) is needed to drive the construction tools, and would that be enough to cover finish spraying in the future?

Being able to spray a finish is also a good argument, but not something I expect to need in the near future.