turning tool storage

My solution to lathe tool and accessory storage. The tool racks are based on a popular fishing rod storage rack design. I know, I know, too many tools, but I subscribe to the theory that I'm just one tool away from greatness.:rofl: It seems like every time I take a class or watch a video there is one more must have tool.

I had a request to share plans for my tool rack with the group. There are none. It was based on a Workshop Tip submitted by Dick West that appeared in the March 08 issue of American Woodworker. That rack was a single row rack that could be wall mounted. I morphed his directions into the double row rack to mount on my tool chest.

Basically the single row rack is made from 3/4 stock, 3-1/8 by 10 for the ends. The tool supports are made by drilling 1-1/2 in holes on 1-7/8 centers down the center of a board 3-1/8 wide by whatever length you choose, based on your application. Rip the board in half to get the upper and lower tool supports. There is 4 inches between the tool support boards. The bottom board is 2-3/4 wide mounted at a 45 degree angle and gently wedges the handles in place.

For the double row rack I started out with a board 6-1/4 wide and drilled two rows of 1-1/2 in holes and ripped through the center of each row of holes to form the support pieces. I staggered the holes rather than placing them directly opposite. I made the end by gluing two 3-1/8 boards together leaving one longer to mount on the tool chest.

George

Attachments

• Turning Tool 001.JPG
    Turning Tool 001.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Turning Tool 004.JPG
    Turning Tool 004.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Turning Tool 006.JPG
    Turning Tool 006.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
George, you do have to many tools...send some my way please! :wave:

I just realized I forgot to post my version of the lathe tool tray. I made it from scrap mdf and the remains of a wooden box some Penn State beading gouges came in, well they were in a box they were packaged with some pieces of wood that resembled what use to be a box. :doh:

Attachments

• p_00067.jpg
    p_00067.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 41