Woodsmith Picture Frame

glenn bradley

Out of Woodsmith Vol. 31 No. 184. BE maple and walnut. BLO and shellac. The cross was added by request.

Mill the outer frame material with a chamfer to start.

Gabe Frame chamfer.jpg

I used setup bars to prepare a small dado stack.

Gabe Frame dado setup.jpg

Mill the dado with a sacrificial fence to bury the blade.

Gabe Frame dado cut.jpg

Miter the outer frame and assemble around the BE maple inner frame and substrate.

Gabe Frame moulding show.jpg

Holds an 8 x 10 photo. Looks like so:

Gabe Frame Finished (1).jpgGabe Frame Finished (2).jpgGabe Frame Finished (3).jpgGabe Frame Finished (4).jpg

Last edited:
very nice combination of woods there glenn,, where do you get your backers from i have 3 frames to make myslef and am looking for the backing plates and the glass..mine arnt fancy like yours just a plain frame..

very nice combination of woods there glenn,, where do you get your backers from i have 3 frames to make myslef and am looking for the backing plates and the glass..mine arnt fancy like yours just a plain frame..

The glass came out of a frame from the 99cent store as the whole frame was cheaper than I could get the glass alone. By backer I think you mean the little goodies that hold the back cover on(?). I got those on clearance at Rockler. My local store has inventory clearance sales a couple times a year. I think it was a pack of 8 for a buck (?) so I grabbed a few. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=729&filter=picture%20frame

The stop at the top of the frame is machined out of walnut, then a short section of brass all-thread is epoxied in and the brass washer and knurled through-knob came from Lowes.

Last edited: