Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Cookies

Bloomington MN USA

Bench Cookies

Has any one tried Rocklers Bench Cookies? I picked up a set To day and so far they are very handy to have around. Great fot sanding cabinet doors, instead of clamping them to the bench.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

And, there is of course the home-made version...
    I made a few strips (1/8" or 1/4") and a few cubes...

ABQ NM
    I haven't tried any yet, but I did enter the drawing for a free set at the Fine Woodworking Magazine website:

I don't know if it's only open to subscribers or if the general public can get in, too.

They do look like they'd be handy. (Which makes it no surprise that Niki has already come up with something similar.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Thomasville, GA
    I have a set and they seem to work as advertised.

I also entered the drawing at FWW Mag.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I bought some a few weeks ago. I think they we about $12.00 for a package of 4. I have been a little nervous about using them as a base for routing edges of a board. I'm concerned that if I put too much pressure on one edge of the board it would tip off the cookies. I currently use a router mat. The mat is a problem sometimes though, the bit runs very close to the mat sometimes. I'll give them a try on this soon.
    They did work well for sanding. They kept the pieces from skittering across the bench.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Those do look handy... don't own any myself though..

actually, I think the best bench cookies are Oatmeal Raisin - but then what do I know//
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Golly Gee, Nikki had a homemade version, Go figure(?)

seriously folks....
    Anytime someone comes up with an idea there will be a manufacturer who will make them for sales. Not long ago there were the plastic Pyramids for finishes.

Back when in the classroom, First shop task was to take a piece of plywood, Make certain measurements and intersecting lines. then take finishing nails and drive them into the intersecting points to a given depth, (Why? you ask?) using accurate measurement, following directions, driving nail skills in eye/hand coordination, accuracy and completion of project. This project was kept in his/her locker for the rest of the course, to use for placing his/her project on in the finishing room or locker as they dried, similar to the Bench Cookies and Nikki's blocks.

I find a blanket of foam (shelf liner type) pad placed on the bench has better holding power for the sanding exercise they discribe.

If I were of unlimited funds for toys, I might consider a set, but as for me, I think I could design a better idea. (I know Nikki could)

Sacramento, CA
    I haven't used them myself. I don't plan to buy any for awhile, if ever. My philosophy on this kinda stuff is to wait until they've had some time to simmer. Early adopters pay a higher price for living on the edge and that's good for them. For me, waiting until those early adopters work out all the bugs first is a more sound approach.

I'm interested in seeing how they hold up after three .. four ... six ... years. The pad is quite soft which tells me that they might get coated in sawdust and may lose their grip eventually like my router pads have done. After a few years, they don't wash clean as well as they used to so eventually they have to be replaced. At $12 a pop, they'd have to last quite a bit longer than my $3 roll of shelf liner
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    ...At $12 a pop, they'd have to last quite a bit longer than my $3 roll of shelf liner
    Yeah, I bought several rolls of that shelf liner at a 'surplus' store a few years ago - I think I spent under a buck a roll - and just toss it when it doesn't stick any more. I still have about 1 rolls left.
    Jim D.

Tyler, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    At $12 a pop, they'd have to last quite a bit longer than my $3 roll of shelf liner
    Yeah, but not everyone is as ch.., er, frugal as you are, Jason.