Bench Cookies

Ron Roase

Has any one tried Rocklers Bench Cookies? I picked up a set To day and so far they are very handy to have around. Great fot sanding cabinet doors, instead of clamping them to the bench.:thumb:

I bought some a few weeks ago. I think they we about $12.00 for a package of 4. I have been a little nervous about using them as a base for routing edges of a board. I'm concerned that if I put too much pressure on one edge of the board it would tip off the cookies. I currently use a router mat. The mat is a problem sometimes though, the bit runs very close to the mat sometimes. I'll give them a try on this soon.
They did work well for sanding. They kept the pieces from skittering across the bench.

Golly Gee, :eek: Nikki had a homemade version, Go figure(?) :thumb:

seriously folks....
Anytime someone comes up with an idea there will be a manufacturer who will make them for sales. Not long ago there were the plastic Pyramids for finishes.

Back when in the classroom, First shop task was to take a piece of plywood, Make certain measurements and intersecting lines. then take finishing nails and drive them into the intersecting points to a given depth, (Why? you ask?) using accurate measurement, following directions, driving nail skills in eye/hand coordination, accuracy and completion of project. This project was kept in his/her locker for the rest of the course, to use for placing his/her project on in the finishing room or locker as they dried, similar to the Bench Cookies and Nikki's blocks.

I find a blanket of foam (shelf liner type) pad placed on the bench has better holding power for the sanding exercise they discribe.

If I were of unlimited funds for toys, I might consider a set, but as for me, I think I could design a better idea. (I know Nikki could)

I haven't used them myself. I don't plan to buy any for awhile, if ever. My philosophy on this kinda stuff is to wait until they've had some time to simmer. Early adopters pay a higher price for living on the edge and that's good for them. For me, waiting until those early adopters work out all the bugs first is a more sound approach. :)

I'm interested in seeing how they hold up after three .. four ... six ... years. The pad is quite soft which tells me that they might get coated in sawdust and may lose their grip eventually like my router pads have done. After a few years, they don't wash clean as well as they used to so eventually they have to be replaced. At $12 a pop, they'd have to last quite a bit longer than my $3 roll of shelf liner :D

...At $12 a pop, they'd have to last quite a bit longer than my $3 roll of shelf liner :D

Yeah, I bought several rolls of that shelf liner at a 'surplus' store a few years ago - I think I spent under a buck a roll - and just toss it when it doesn't stick any more. I still have about 1½ rolls left.

The bearing on my router either comes close or hits the router mat thats why I was interested in them.
I played around with the cookies a bit early this morning and they worked great. As long as I placed them so the piece was steady I had no problems at all.
I'm not quite sure how a piece of shelf paper would work in this application :huh:
$ 11.95 less the 20% coupon I had makes them a pretty good deal to me.

Hey, my wife uses that stuff in the cabinets, :eek: I'll have to sneak a piece from her supply cabinet. Good idea :thumb:

Looks like it will work great for sanding but still doesn't solve the low riding router bit though.

My brother in Alaska sent me some of those. I didn't have anything in the shop at the time to use them with so I set them under my bread kneading board in the kitchen. They do work nice! I used to have to chase the board around on the counter when punching down the dough but now it is rock solid. I'm going to have to buy a second set to take out to the shop:D.

Hey Bob,

Quote:
I bought some a few weeks ago. I think they we about $12.00 for a package of 4. I have been a little nervous about using them as a base for routing edges of a board. I'm concerned that if I put too much pressure on one edge of the board it would tip off the cookies.

Don't be worried about flipping the board. Just set the pucks out at the very edge of the board. I really don't think you'll be able to get it to move.